A blonde tries to sell a car.

geo_cat, Nov 27, 11:41pm
I have never sold a car and will be selling mine as moving overseas.It will be serviced, with up to date WOF and Rego, cleaned etc.What else should I do!I have kept all records of services and WOFs from the day I owned it, including receipts for repairs.No money owing on it.Planning on listing it on TM in the New year.Tips much appreciated.I understand transfer of ownership well, more concerned about having all information for prospective buyers.

ninja_man, Nov 27, 11:57pm
take good photo's, they can make a big difference

foxdonut, Nov 27, 11:59pm
Don't tell anyone you don't know what you're doing.

jasongroves, Nov 28, 12:00am
Just keep the description honest and to the point.
Make sure you list any faults and include the fact that the vehicle is sold 'As is where is'.
You get to use 20 photos when listing, so take advantage of that by using the lot.
Make sure the car is presentable, take it to a photogenic spot and click away.
People like to know whether the car is belt or chain driven too and if either is in need of replacement.
An idea of fuel economy is good too. (KMs per litre, not just 'Good on gas':)

geo_cat, Nov 28, 2:16am
Thanks everyone!Much appreciated!

foxdonut, Nov 28, 2:34am
Also - if you get an email from anyone outside the country offering to buy, its a scam, ignore them. Doesn't matter if its an Oil rig, container ship, nigeria, Australia etc. Just delete the email, don't even spend 2 minutes replying.

(Unless you're selling one of the five Mercedes Benz CLK-GTR convertibles on earth, in which case Trademe isn't worth advertising on)

Also - be prepared to let people come and go for a test drive - talk to your insurer about your options.

Review other similar cars and adverts in your area so you know what the market is looking like - remember though, these cars aren't necessarily selling at the asking prices listed and don't represent the "value" of the car.

clark20, Nov 28, 8:04am
Don't tell them you are going overseas, as people may wait until you are desperate. And its a common ploy on here, just search "overseas" .

geo_cat, Nov 29, 6:27am
I am not in a hurry and can't get the old man or brother to sell it when I am gone!Thanks again!

zetec, Nov 30, 6:58am
As said above, good photos and a careful description are key. Take the photos in good light - a fine evening is good. just after sun has set, and take meaingful photos - front/back, each side from front angle and rear angle, underbonnet, hatch open, interior front from each side, and interior rear from each side, and any other points of interest. like reg/wof/service sticker maybe handbook/service book if it has one. These things indicate a careful owner. . Make sure car is clean and shines. Choose the location for photos carefully as well. Watch for your reflection in the windows etc, try to avoid. Try to find a good description from another trdeme ad, don't just plagarise it, but adapt it to you situation, and as said above, be honest about the car's condition. Take care with pricing, I recently advertised my daugthers car, used opening price a little under what I thought we'd get, buy now a little above,and the car sold at the mid point at the price she wanted within a week of it being listed.

megaccino, Apr 19, 8:50am
Make sure you clean outside & inside, puts me off when I go see a car & it still has rubbish in it.
Put "no swaps" on the ad or you get a million people asking to swap for ridiculous things like motorbikes and jetskis.
Don't hold it for a potential buyer unless you get a deposit, I was mucked around for weeks by someone who kept promising to pay 'next week'.