Changing ownership of a dereg'd car

larnz1, Jan 23, 7:43am
Is it possible, if so what is the process!

franc123, Jan 23, 7:46am
Nope.If the buyer is planning on re-registering it at some stage, give them a copy of the old ownership papers, and a signed bill of sale, it just needs to describe the vehicle, and when it was sold, and both sign it, they are going to need to prove its been registered here before and that they legally own it.If its being sold for parts then obviously you don't need to do it.

larnz1, Jan 23, 7:51am
so im selling my car to a mate, it has no rego.I just write a letter saying im selling it to him and describing the car,then we both sign it!

franc123, Jan 23, 7:53am
Lets get this straight, its unregistered/plates dead as opposed to unlicenced!Two very different things.

larnz1, Jan 23, 8:05am
yep dead plates

sandypheet, Jan 23, 8:09am
Cant change it untill its gone through rereg etc.

larnz1, Jan 23, 8:10am
so can my mate rereg it under his name when he's ready to then!

larnz1, Jan 23, 8:12am
what does he need from me to do this

sandypheet, Jan 23, 8:13am
A letter from you saying you have disposed of the vehicle to your mate.

larnz1, Jan 23, 8:16am
sweet, so he wants it now to work on then he will reister it later into his name.What happens with any fines he may incur in the car!Sounds like there should be a more officiated way of changing ownership of a dereg'd car.

franc123, Jan 23, 8:18am
Thats where your copy of the bill of sale stating the date and time it was disposed of comes in.

jasongroves, Jan 23, 8:19am
He takes the car, you take the plates.simple.
They cant be re-used anyway, so just hand them in.

larnz1, Jan 23, 8:21am
Sweet, thanks everyone

tigra, Jan 25, 7:44am
Sold a car that hadnt been registered for 20+ years. Was on Exemption file but they never sent me the renewal of Exemption reminders. Did it for a few years then forgot. Sold the car and Transport Authority tried to tell me it had never been registered - ever. Showed them copies of old Rego papers (glad I kept them) initially they argued there was no such car but finallythey admitted that their files were far from complete. Didnt make the buyer very confident tho.