4age corolla cutting out

killarney2, Nov 30, 10:10am
started having problems after i had my clutch changed. power switches off at random times. was thinking it must be a loose earth connection somewhere but cant find it. Went to jump start it today and as soon as i remove the jumper leads it cuts out straight away. any ideas! (4age 1600cc redtop motor

foxdonut, Nov 30, 10:59am
How long has this behaviour been going on for!

I had a 4AGZE that would pack a sad after disconnecting the battery, a half hour drive would correct the problem.

I'd heard that there was a "learning computer" in the 4A series, but that sounds like bullshit to me since its such an ancient engine.

foxdonut, Nov 30, 11:00am
Also - the usual suspects - afm, coolant bubbles, loose plugs etc.

n1smo_gtir, Nov 30, 11:23am
my 4age sometimes shows the check eng light n run like diaohrea. then if i turn off and floor the peddle while starting, it would all go normal again.

unbeatabull, Nov 30, 6:09pm
Some of them do have a learning ECU, however disconnecting the ECU should merely reset it back to its factory settings to re-learn.

I'd be checking everything you've touched, earths on the bellhousing, all plugs, connections etc - also test the battery and the alternator, if they get too low being a EFI engine they won't go if there isn't enough voltage.

kcf, Nov 30, 7:17pm
if the idle is all over the place (really common with 4AGE's), maybe when they did the clutch they have left a vacuum line off!That would cause stalling.Can't be sure from your description of the issue if that would actually fit the fault you have.

williewaiter, Dec 1, 9:14am
boo

ema1, Dec 1, 9:35am
Earth strap between subframe/engine to the bodymay NOT berefitted!

williewaiter, Dec 1, 9:44am
i reckon its a earth. i just dont know whats what and tighten everything i can see. whats the easiest way to find the one you are talking about!

jmma, Dec 1, 9:51am
Ask this person,killarney2 they have the same problem (o:

sw20, 6 days, 1 hour
Don't confuse a learning ecu with knock response.