Used car licensing

heepster, Dec 2, 6:54am
Does a used car dealer have an obligation to relicense a car that he sells when it has expired!

tigertim20, Dec 2, 7:07am
a dealer has to sell ANY car with rego, used or not, if thats what you're asking

kazbanz, Dec 2, 7:08am
It would be helpfull if you were a bit more specific.
The basic answer is NO there is apsolutely NO obligation to do anything about registration other than what is down in black and white on the sale agreement if the vehicle is sold normally through a yard. It is up to the purchaser to negotiate the terms of sale with the vendor. You will notice that trade me have backed down on the whole "on road costs apply" issue.
If the vehicle is sold by auction and it says AS IS WHERE IS. then other than the car being described honestly there is no requirement to do anything except offer clear title and that the vehicle is not stolen

heepster, Dec 2, 7:13am
My partner bought a car 2 weeks ago from a dealer. She saw 19/04 on the license label. Assumed it was april next year and didn't notice the 2011. So it is not licensed. However it has a new WOF. How can that be! I thought a car had to be licensed to get a WOF. Today she got snapped for no Rego. We haven't contacted the dealer yet but will be doing so tomorrow

a.woodrow, Dec 2, 7:15am
other way round, must have wof before rego, be polite to dealer it may have been a genuine oversight

eta - it may be registered, they might have misplaced the label

neo_psy, Dec 2, 7:17am
You can get a WOF with no reg, but you can't get a reg with no WOF.

At a guess, you're stuffed, but try calling the dealer to see what they say.

EDIT: Almost exactly the same answer posted while I was writing.

kazbanz, Dec 2, 7:18am
again HOW was it purchasedie was it by auction!

heepster, Dec 2, 8:47am
No, not by auction. Bought off a car lot

jcwholesale, Dec 2, 9:24am
A car does not need to been registered when sold, dealer or not. Simple answer.

tigra, Dec 2, 9:06pm
kabanz- Can you enlighten me about the " trade me have backed down on the whole "on road costs apply" issue" you mentioned. I missed that one.

kazbanz, Dec 2, 10:04pm
Ok --well Trade me made an anouncement that the displayed price on cars must be all inclusive. Ie no hidden costs.
Ie the price you pay is for example $7995.
Not $7995 plus "on road costs" ofup to $700.00IE $8695
I must Say I utterly aplauded the stance of trade me. I feel no matter how the words are twisted thatextra costs burried in the text of an advert is false advertising.
But a bunch of south island dealers -(all who hide the on road costs in their advert ) kicked up a stink about it.
In fairness I do get their point. There should be a tickbox that clearly shows that on road costs apply and how much. -this should be under the advertised price

jenny188, Dec 2, 10:24pm
Car must have a WOF, to prove its safe to be on the road, before it can be registered. You are legally responsible for the registration from the day that the title is transferred into your name. Prior owner (be it car yard or private seller) is liable for registration cost up to the date of change of ownership. If rego has lapsed or been out for over 1 year (without exemption) it most probably will need a new compliance certificate. (about $500 worth) beware

heepster, Dec 3, 1:27am
It was an oversight on the part of the dealer. He was embarrased and apologetic and paid the back rego and another 3 months. Good on him.

kazbanz, Dec 3, 1:49am
GOOD result. Could you tell us what aproach you took when talking to the dealer! --all guns blazing or .

crzyhrse, Dec 8, 10:39pm
Judging by the result, they went in without saying a word and gave him a swift kick in the goolies!

smac, Dec 9, 8:50am
I couldn't care less really whether they give a price "+ on road" or full price, but they must be able to state what the cost is if asked. You and I both know there are dealers that say "don't know yet" and then the on road magically goes up when the car price is negotiated down.

franc123, Dec 9, 8:58am
ORC's should be included in the advertised price, no if's no but's, its not like they are optional extras.

kazbanz, Dec 9, 8:52pm
If I was dealing with a stealer who said "I don't know yet"I'd be out the door faster than jack robinson.-They are lying