At what point does a car left on your property .

dani4656, Dec 3, 2:29am
become abandoned, and how do I go about removing it without doing anything illegal! A family member had their car towed to my section over a year ago, possibly closer to 2 years. Said it would only be here for a few weeks. I am tidying up the section to sell and asked them two months ago to get it moved and am only getting excuses. I want the heap gone! And have been more than fair. The owner no longer lives here but it was his parents who asked me if it could be towed here and who told me it would only be for a few weeks, so it has been them I have been dealing with. They don't want to know, but will kick up holy hell if I up and sell it. I posted this in general last weekend, and the general thing to do legally was put ad in newspaper giving them 28 days to remove it.I contacted the owner he said it was listed on TM, he had offers and it would be gone next week (which is now last week!) Now he's not replying to txts. Is there any way around the newspaper ad thing. I don't think I should have to give him 28 days, when I asked the family 2 months ago to move it.

morrisjvan, Dec 3, 2:36am
park it on the road, ( a few houses down )then ring the council and tell them someone has abandoned it !(anonomously)

turbogtx, Dec 3, 2:39am
Yes, you should do as the second post did. I had to ring the council about a ute that had sat next door outside the neighbours house for months with it not moving. It didn't belong to the neighbours. The council came along and issued tickets for no WOF and no REGO. Then about 2 days later they attached a notice to it saying it had to be removed. The owner, whoever they were, never complied so the council towed it away.

dani4656, Dec 3, 2:40am
It's not driveable, will need winching onto a trailer and I live down a long steep driveway

trogedon, Dec 3, 3:12am
Get it moved on to the road and bill them for your time etc. Tell them that if the council notices it then they will fine him and tow it too.

msigg, Dec 3, 3:16am
No two post has got it in one. yea get a dolly or trailer.

wrong2, Dec 3, 3:23am
had a freind havehis auto dragged off a persons property - wrecking the transmission

small claims court didnt help him stuff all

biddy6, Dec 3, 3:24am
Get it down to the road somehow, and put a for sale sign on it with his ph no in the window.

v8_mopar, Dec 3, 3:31am
Its your car now if its dereged. You asked them to remover and they have not now you tell them the scrapy will pick it up in 1 week if not gone. You get to keep the money!

tigertim20, Dec 3, 3:33am
thats what I would do. Wel, you dont need to call the council someone else will do that. Let the owner know via text that he has 7 days to remove the car, or you will tow the vehicle onto the road, at HIS risk.
Tow it onto the road and forget about it. KEPP the message of warning. should keep you covered.

kazbanz, Dec 3, 4:21am
call a scrappie and given their reaction send them the bill

friendly_prawn, Dec 3, 4:38am
start sending them an account for storage fees.

beblowin, Dec 3, 5:20am
burn it and say it court fire some how then set a scrap yard to pick it up.

bitsy_boffin, Dec 3, 5:46am
Write to them, inform that if the vehicle is not removed by X date that it will be disposed of without further notice.

On X date, dispose of it without further notice by whatever means necessary, if you get any money for it, give it to them to save any hassles.

That's what I'd do.

dani4656, Dec 3, 6:19am
Yea, I just text him and told him he has one week or I call the wreckers to take it away. He has had two months and done nothing. Just a shame to have family dramas over Xmas, but I've had the thing here for nearly two years. I'll still cop the flak big time but I've just had enough!

twink19, Dec 3, 6:59am
phone local wrecker or broken car company if you have one near you, and get paid for it

kazbanz, Dec 3, 9:11am
of course you could take some good pictures and run a $1.00 reserve auction as long as the buyer picks up

dani4656, Dec 3, 12:03pm
Ha, I would love to, its prob worth a bit for parts. But as its not legally mine I would get in trouble :(

sas777, Dec 3, 1:23pm
Speak to the people on the phone, stop the texting; it doesn't work. Speak to both parties, hassle them constantly until you get results. Not promises, results. Get angry - get REALLY angry. These people are taking the p!ss out of you, dumping their crap in your driveway.
Let us know how you get on too

afer_daily, Dec 4, 12:11am
its a pity you are not up here in AKL / i would remove it for free / by the way what make is it .

40wav, 4 days, 5 hours
Hire a trailer, or better still, a company to come and get it, and deliver it to the parents place so it can sit in their driveway. Give their address as where to send the invoice. Done.