Another car 'buyer' scammer to watch for.

grooney, Dec 3, 11:49am
HERE'S ANOTHER SCAMMER HAVING A GO.WATCH OUT IF YOU GET SIMILAR MESSAGES REGARDING YOUR VEHICLE FOR SALE! DON'T EVER REPLY TO THE SCAMMER!

<snip>
Hi, I am willing to buy your vehicle as the condition suits my need,so i will want you to contact me with your final price and email where exactly the vehicle is situated!, Payment will be by NZ bank deposit. Thanks, Thomas.
<snip>

Obviously the email address will change each time but if it sounds like this - keep away and report their message to TradeMe asap.Don't reply to the scammer!

mugenb20b, Dec 3, 7:25pm
Thanks for the heads up, but when I sell cars, it's cash on pick up. And the vehicle will only be released when I see the proof of change of ownership. I don't muck about, and I have very little patience.

neville48, Dec 3, 8:20pm
so what can the scammer do from here with that information, what happens if you answer his email, obviously you would not release a vehicle until it was payed for and payment cleared so. I must be missing something here, please explain.

countrypete, Dec 3, 11:07pm
The scammer will have your name and full bank account details, that's what.

neville48, Dec 4, 7:37am
that just means he will be in debt immediatly if he can get into my account. All bank details are in the computer anyway so a good Geek or Nerd could probably access them anytime.I hope they can scam my mortgage payment to someone else.

crzyhrse, Dec 4, 8:05am
So what!

guest, Dec 4, 9:12am
I just got the exact same email from this scum bag. Id love to put a bounty on his head. Thanks for the heads up.

gsimpson, Dec 4, 10:23am
You do that when you give someone a cheque.

groverg, Dec 4, 10:32am
The bank may give access to the money BEFORE the cheque actually clears(nominally cleared! but not fully cleared). The bank then dishonour
the original cheque and send you into overdraft.
http://www.bankomb.org.nz/eng/Case-notes/Cheque-%E2%80%93-foreign-cheque-%E2%80%93-fraud-%E2%80%93-funds-made-available-before-cheque-cleared-%E2%80%93-dishonour-%E2%80%93-clearance-time/%28language%29/eng-NZ

guest, Dec 4, 7:20pm
Hi everyone,

This is definitely a scam, do not respond to those emails and never send money overseas.

How this scam works:

The scammer often makes initial contact via text message asking you to email them more information. They then email you saying they are happy to pay the full amount for your vehicle, and will be paying via Pay Pal. They send you a fake invoice purporting to come from pay pal confirming ???payment??

ha.mi.sh, Dec 4, 8:03pm
I just got a emailmfrom Tom.carlly11 saying he's in Palmerston north and he wants my bank number to put money over into. This is definitely a scam right!

crzyhrse, Dec 4, 9:44pm
Are you kidding! It's fun!
http://419eater.com

bitsy_boffin, Dec 4, 9:48pm
Claiming to be actually in country is unusual, but he's obviously doing the rounds, two separate cars, pay by bank deposit, not asking for any more information about the vehicle first, so yep, I'd call that a scam.

jason18, Dec 4, 11:09pm
Anyone else getting heaps of emails from "banks" Saying to re log in. I must be getting at least 4 a week from "anz, kiwibank, etc"

mugenb20b, Dec 4, 11:11pm
I only sell cars to people I meet in person with the cash.

tigra, Dec 4, 11:27pm
Yes 1st and most important Commandment to Selling Cars

swannie3, Dec 5, 12:24am
I had one from ANZ, I'm not with them, saying to Log In to be told all about a scam in progress.DON'T DO IT!

crzyhrse, Dec 5, 3:04am
Absolutely DO do it! Use a fake username and password and see how well it works!

likcrom, Dec 5, 12:11pm
Sunday 04/12/11 I got a txt saying he was interested in my car, and to e-mail him the condition of the interor to a g mail address, being none the wiser I sent the e-mail to that address telling him it was fine no rips, he emails me saying he was goin to use pay pal and if I could give my details, I sent a e-mail back saying my auction says pick up only plus I no longer hold a credit card: but now he's got my e-mail address:

galex, Dec 5, 12:48pm
Just Blacklist him in your email client or program, you'll never see anymore emails from him if he tries to contact you again

danni_2254, Dec 5, 3:55pm
It'll go into a phishing/scamming database on some Nigerian botnet.

jollyrob, Dec 10, 1:56am
I'm first time trademe seller. On one of my listings I had 10 scammers attempt to make contact. What foiled them was trade me support had tipped me off each time that someone from overseas had viewed listing and not to make contact with anyone from overseas. Latest one was I had not won contest for bathurst tickets could I provide email address for further contact (my listing was for ford falcon) Thing is I don't recall entering any Bathurst contest. I guess as long as there is sites like trade me you are going to attract undesirables. Thanks to trade me support in my case

unbeatabull, Dec 10, 1:58am
I get one just about every second day from "ASB" and a few from some others. Funnily enough they haven't once tried to scam me through the bank I'm actually with!

solster, Dec 12, 1:46am
I cant see any issues as long as you wait for the bank to clear the funds.