Selling an older car

cheese-mike, Jan 27, 12:17am
I am looking at selling my weekend car (I have a company car which I can use for most of my driving)

It is a 1984 910 Nissan Bluebird
only 124,000km on the clock
Automatic
I have had it for about 7 or 8 months and before I owned it it had been owned my a little old lady for 20 years and had done 117,000km/been garaged its whole life/regularly serviced and looked after/I have all the original paperwork and most of the receipts.
All the Km I have put on it have been on the open road, it has never been thrashed or pushed. I have serviced it regularly and it has a wof until march and I am about to put 3months more reg on it.
It is a great runner and hasn't been started on cold mornings for a long time. It gets at least 500km for a tank of gas (costs me $100 to fill up).
It has a couple of dents in doors etc (the old lady was very old) but only tiny amounts of rust as it has been garaged.

How much do you think I should expect to get for it!
I was hoping to get around $1800-$2000 as it has such low km etc

shaun16, Jan 27, 1:29am
low k's isnt always a good thing, it means its probably done real short trips with the little old lady and never got a decent run, never got properly hot.

cheese-mike, Jan 27, 1:32am
She took it on trips too :)
But yes I understand what you are saying.
I am only really selling it as I have 7 cars and don't need it really.

mcscottwgtn, Jan 27, 4:00am
It is old and most punters would say it is boring too. Think that model is kind of block like. Used to have one in the company I worked for. It was ok, just another sedan. Think you are expecting too much for it due to the low km's. Put it on for a $1, but give it a good clean, and take good photos.
Good luck.

stevo2, Jan 27, 5:04am
Agreed. Also bear in mind what YOU paid for just a few months back.
Cheers Stevo

franc123, Jan 27, 5:41am
I don't think you're right in this case, it IS a special vehicle.The marketing strategy for this car is dead simple, all you need to do is say its the RWD model and include some keywords like oldschool, drift, SR20 etc and the OP will be inundated with spotty teens and tweens with tongues and wallets and other things hanging out.I don't think $2K is out of the question, especially if it is basically rust free.

mcscottwgtn, Jan 27, 6:08am
Good point. The one I remember was the first fwd bluebird, a box like car.

phillip.weston, Jan 27, 7:38am
A 910 hardtop would be worth more than the normal pillared door models, also the engine it has will have an effect on value too. L20B ones aren't worth as much as a CA18 example etc.

franc123, Jan 27, 10:17am
Wow you're a brave man doing that!The key word there kaz was 910, the FWD widetrack model you were thinking of was called the U11.

franc123, Jan 27, 10:28am
Hey no worries mate :)it will be interesting to see how it actually goes, and indeed if a $2K bid is even placed.There's no doubt that a 910 would command more $ than a U11 all other things being equal.

phillip.weston, Jan 27, 10:42am
910 = RWD. U11 is first of the FWD's.

phillip.weston, Jan 27, 10:45am
I see it's a normal plain jane 910 without pillarless windows and has an L20B instead of the Z or CA engines some of them come with, in that not so flattering brown I would say $1500 or thereabouts.

mellisa2000, Jan 27, 11:09am
$900 and run.However, good condition, nice interior. Do Not tell people how long you've had it for.!

cheese-mike, Jan 27, 7:32pm
We are in no hurry to sell it. Our target audience is people looking for a good first car, or a run about.
We may not get $2000 for it, but we don't need to sell it so we will just see how we go.
I have had a few 910s including two coupes sitting in my yard (not for sale).
The interior looks like new, it doesn't smoke at all, runs very well, etc.
I see no reason someone wouldn't pay $1500 or higher if that is what they are looking for.

mcscottwgtn, Jan 27, 10:43pm
Looks good. Nice to see an old motor with the original plate on it and unmolested. Think a boy racer will want it for its RWD.
Your photos suggest it is one of many (and not the love of your life), but at least the grass under the car is mowed ie it has been moved recently. Still think a grand for an old car is good going. Hope it goes to a good home.

nzmax, Jan 27, 11:27pm
its not quite plain jane.its a ZXE at least with all the trappings. Being NZ new, it has the L20B as standard issue as do all the NZ 910 2.0lt Bluebirds, and we didnt get pillarless windows as an option, so it is what it is. Officially the colour is called Beaujalous (Bo-ja-lay), and unfortunately the pic doesnt do the colour justice. The colour looks a million times better in reality. I agree with the price though, any registered/warranted car, even a roughish one, should fetch at least $1000, and if tidy and really original probably a bit more. Id say $1500 wouldnt be out of the question. You dont see many of these Bluebirds on the road anymore. And yes, I have owned a 910 ZXE in the past, the same colour.lol

phillip.weston, Jan 27, 11:42pm
Sorry but a non-hard top with L20B is plain jane to me - it probably has live axle still, the brown exterior and brown interior really isn't desirable at all. Of all the 910 sedans the import hardtop with CA18 and IRS would be the one to go for.

r15, Jan 27, 11:50pm
you should clean it, then take some photos of it from nice angles, taken somewhere in front of a flash background- eg: go and park it in front of a rich looking house on a concrete driveway, and make sure its clean!

nzmax, Jan 28, 12:02am
I guess my idea of plain jane is different.lol. All the 2lt 910 NZ Bluebirds were IRS, only the 1.6GX was live, and interiors were always light grey. I agree that the hardtop sedans, and coupes for that matter, are probably a bit more desirable, but sadly there arent all that many left in NZ anymore, and the ones that do come up for sale dont seem to go for all that much more than a sedan, unless its something super immaculate or rare. Unfortunately they arent as popular amongst the "in crowd" as they once were, they have moved on to newer racier cars.

cheese-mike, Jan 28, 3:59am
Yea, we will get new pics and more info up this weekend.

cheese-mike, Jan 28, 4:21am
No point betting, I wouldn't sell it for less than $1800 at the moment.
If it doesn't sell I will keep it, convert it to manual and use it longer myself.

mcscottwgtn, Feb 13, 1:46am
May as well wait until the auto claps out if you prefer a manual - if it fails to sell at your dream price.