Possible blown fuse!

Page 1 / 2
nick91111, Dec 8, 7:28am
1995 Nissan Cefiro A32. Was mucking about today stopping my automatic doors locking via central locking unit. Got that done. Now I put my car back together, and the clock goes, but the head unit doesn't, the amp doesn't have power either. I have checked the few ACC fuses etc and can't find a blown one, the amp's power cable's fuse is not blown either. Hmm.

andrea_w, Dec 8, 7:30am
Grab a test light or multimeter and actually check all of the fuses. not just some.
The amp won't turn on if the stereo has no power.

nick91111, Dec 8, 7:33am
Yeah that was going to be my next plan! I pulled the stereo back out and checked it is all plugged in correctly and it was. So a fuse would be the obvious problem I assume! Yeah, remote wire won't be able to send a signal to the amp with no power from the head unit.

nick91111, Dec 8, 7:38am
Hopefully I can figure it out

andrea_w, Dec 8, 7:44am
99.9% of the time, a fuse doesn't just blow. They blow for a reason. and I'm struggling to think of any ACC circuit in the door area (on the possibility you accidentally grounded a live ACC wire). A fuse is the most obvious and easiest thing to check but if all are ok you will need to pull the stereo out and check both powers have 12v.

When the stereo lost power, was it properly fitted!
Nissan has no earth in the stereo loom, they rely on the stereo being screwed to the stereo brackets. the brackets are Earthed so if the stereo has been pulled out it won't turn on.
But in saying that. the aerial is an Earth (not to be relied on as an Earth though), so if the stereo is not installed but the aerial is plugged in it should still turn on.

I hope all of that makes sense lol

andrea_w, Dec 8, 7:46am
I was going to say bring it around in the weekend and I can get the stereo working again for you if you can't suss it out. but your in Dunedin.
Road trip .!

40wav, Dec 8, 8:34am
Is there a small fuse on the back of the stereo itself! It could be that one! Good luck.

jono2912, Dec 8, 10:21am
Nothing left to say. Andrea has covered it all. as usual haha

nick91111, Dec 9, 6:00am
good point. I will check that!

nick91111, Dec 9, 6:01am
Thatd be great, very long road trip hah

nick91111, Dec 9, 6:04am
yeah I am well aware of nissans earthing from previous cars I have had. I think I blew it when mucking about with the central locking wire to stop my doors automatically locking, this would have done it. It is all fitted properly and it was fully unplugged whilst I did this

nick91111, Dec 10, 8:25am
Ok. I have used a test light to test all the fuses and all are fine (fuses inside car) Still no working stereo

jmma, Dec 10, 9:48am
Start singing (o:

pup2, Dec 10, 6:31pm
And did you test for power at the back of the stereo! Acc & Full Time

bae13, Dec 10, 7:21pm
Have you checked the ones under the bonnet too some times the battery fed fuse is in there

nick91111, Dec 10, 8:18pm
Yeah I need to figure out which 2 wires from the Sony head unit are powers shouldn't be too hard. Need to do this. What if there is no power to it! Ie the cause

nick91111, Dec 10, 8:19pm
I tried this with no luck. Does the engine need to be running to do it! Thanks for everyone's help I appreciate it!

nick91111, Dec 10, 8:30pm
If it helps. My original intention was to cut the wire from the central locking to disable the "pedo" or automatic locking doors. I cut the pink and blue wire as told, and this stopped the central locking all together. So I cut the same coloured wired right near it, and this turned out to be the correct wire! Great. Now with two cut wires, I decided to connect the wrong cut one (that disabled the door beed and central locking) back in so I could have central locking; in doing so, I wired the wrong wires back together (the central locking control door beep and the auto locks, as the wires looked identical!) I think this has definitely caused my problem. So wires are all properly connected back together now, with the appropriate wire for the automatic door locks cut, and the other one joint back together. My headunit and all air con panels etc where unplugged and completley removed whilst I did all this. Put the dash back together, and my head unit does not go. Hope this can shed some light and is not too confusing for you all! Cheers sorry for writing a novel.

nick91111, Dec 10, 8:31pm
*Door beep

nick91111, Dec 11, 2:36am
Help me please!

nick91111, Dec 11, 2:37am
Ok. Update. All fuses in cabin, and in engine bay are good. No fuse in head unit itself. Amp fuses are good, including power cable fuse. The yellow wire and red wire for the head unit ( I guess constant power and ACC HAVE POWER going to them. Still head unit will not go!

40wav, Dec 11, 2:41am
I think you should try a separate earth (to test) just to rule that out.

40wav, Dec 11, 2:41am
Or, do you have access to another head unit to try!

nick91111, Dec 11, 2:45am
So plug the head unit in with a dedicated earth! I'm not sure if this sony head unit has a wire for that. It will be earthing through aerial/brackets to chassis I presume. I have 2 spare head units to try that was just what I was thinking. It's soldered in properly so will be a mission to test another head unit, any simple tips. Cheers

nick91111, Dec 11, 2:47am
Or do you mean use a seperate earth other than the car whilst testing fuses!