Car brokers had any experience of them

nondescript, Feb 3, 6:45am
We are selling a nz new late model car and have had an approach from an organisation of car brokers who will sell on our behalf , fees being anything they sell it for over an agreed price . Anyone had any experience of this outfit! I feel a bit cautious that there isnt some sort of hook in it ! Thanks

phillip.weston, Feb 3, 8:12am
kaz, it's not hard at all to pick up the phone and arrange with the vendor of the car to collect the vehicle and demonstrate it to the potential customer. I work for that 'crowd' in the Hamilton branch and while it can be frustrating to get an out of town car here to show to the customer, the concept works relatively well. I'm off to Auckland tomorrow to deliver an XR8 I had listed here in Hamilton to a customer up there, they purchased it without even looking at it. Deposit has been put down and balance apon a happy inspection, which given the condition of the car I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be happy with it.

phillip.weston, Feb 3, 8:15am
Also with getting a yard to sell the vehicle for you, the vehicle has to be on their yard at all times, with marketing it on behalf the owner has full possession of the vehicle until it needs to be demonstrated or sold.

phillip.weston, Feb 3, 8:36am
yes indeed difficult if it's inter-island but it does happen - in Dec we sold a customer here a Hiace van which was located in Christchurch, we had the cheapest example of that specific model by far and there was just nothing else which ticked the guys boxes in the same area let alone the same price range. A deposit was paid, van was freighted up, customer was over the moon when it arrived. Of course it all went smoothly because the van was described accurately and it was put through a pre-purchase check while it was down there still.

I decided to get back into an office workplace environment and interact with more people, have fewer responsibilities and deal with higher priced vehicles which don't attract the scum of the earth like my lower priced vehicles did.

phillip.weston, Feb 3, 7:46pm
if they fit within our 'image' - ie NZ-new and late model we will keep them as a stock unit. About 10% of our late model cars we advertise are our own stock. Otherwise if it's not quite what we want to own, we network with all the local wholesalers and dealers to see if anyone wants to take it off our hands. We also use the MotoWeb tender service as well to see if there's any dealers throughout the country who want the vehicle we are trading - which is what we did that that '10 Highlander. There was no way we could make it work with the customer wanting $40k+ for their Highlander as a trade and the absolute best offer we got to take it off our hands was $34.5k, and we were going to get the customer into a Pajero with a small margin in it. We don't work with high margins so we usually can't over-trade. But what we can do is usually offer the best retail price for the vehicle while getting the best net price to the vendor (when compared to a trade in or a cash up from a dealer). We basically negotiate to get the best price for everyone involved.

phillip.weston, Feb 3, 8:44pm
duly noted ;) I was actually going to approach a certain dealer in Auckland if they had any excess stock they would like us to market on their behalf to help them sell it, but I figured they would be well sorted in that area :P But hey if the certain dealer in Auckland had some Commodores, Falcons, Territorys, Captivas, Outlanders, Tritons and Hiluxes (our top selling vehicles at the moment) we would definitely be able to help :D