Dead car - What to do with it!

tigadee, Feb 4, 2:38am
I've got a dead 1994 Ford Falcon V6 wagon (Manual) which I really loved but unfortunately is too expensive to repair. What's my best and most profitable option to get rid of it!

1. Put it up on TM!
2. Call one fo those towaway services which pay some money for it!

I'm happy if I can get back about $1K.

tuttyclan, Feb 4, 2:44am
Wont be a V6 it will either be a straight 6 cylinder 4.0 or a V8 4.9.
Whats wrong with it for it to be dead , what did the workshop say that it will be so expensive to fix.

pico42, Feb 4, 2:45am
Trebuchet.

bendean, Feb 4, 4:45am
the tow away companys dont give you 2 1/3rds of f**k all mate beta off tryin TM

franc123, Feb 4, 5:00am
For goodness sake don't sell it to a wrecker or a scrap merchant, he will tell you its only worth $200 and will happily winch it on his truck and have the gearbox and all the gear to convert an auto model listed for sale on here for $1200 minimum, the same day.Whats actually wrong with it!Falcons are amongst the cheapest of modern cars to fix!

bendean, Feb 4, 5:16am
yep fix it

tigadee, Feb 4, 10:16pm
First of all, thanks for all the advice. I don't understand "trebuchet" though, pardon my lack of French. Tuttyclan, you're right, it's the straight 6 4.0l

There's a leak in the radiator and the engine overheats. Also when I'm driving, there's the smell of exhaust and I can't pinpoint where it's coming from.

It's been sitting for more than a year now, I don't know if it will even run anymore even if the leak was fixed.

tigadee, Feb 4, 10:18pm
I've already spent 1,000 overhauling the engine, so I don't think/know if it's worth fixing up the car any more. :-(

pico42, Feb 4, 10:24pm

richynuts, Feb 5, 12:38am
Did you mean v6 or XR6 ! How many kms!

fordguy17, Feb 5, 1:00am
I feel sorry for folks that don't know better and spend large amounts overhauling stuff. You probably only needed to replace the radiator ($150 2nd hand wrecker, or $300 new), if the motor was cooked, possibly $500 second hand. The exhaust smell will just be a leak, you can get a second hand system for bugger all, or just get a shop to find the leak and seal it. A year is hardly anytime to sit, i left my LTD sitting for about a year and half while i converted it to manual and some other things, all i did was charge the battery and it fired first pop. Falcons, especially the older models like yours are very easy to fix and very reliable. Being a manual wagon, it's pretty rare, so you would get $1000 easy if the rego is still live. If not, about $800 is reasonable if the body is straight and the gearbox is good.

mrfxit, Feb 5, 4:38am
Yep the 4ltr straight 6 is a brilliant brute & yet economical.
EB most likely.

Wouldn't touch it if it was the 3.9 straight 6
Shouldn't be a v6 in a 1994 Ford Falcon unless it's been transplanted or an import model

franc123, Mar 13, 1:17am
What!A '94 will be an ED or early EF, the 3.9 and 4.0 are exactly the same engine except for a slightly larger bore on the 4.0, apart from the CFI system on some of the 3.9's there is no real reason to avoid one, there was no difference in the reliability/life expectancy and very little difference in power between the two.Falcons have NEVER EVER been fitted with factory V6 engines and where would you import one from apart from Australia!Were not talking Toymotor Surfs here lol.