General Warning about Used Car Scam

rach_sk8, Feb 7, 11:00pm
Hi all

I listed my car for sale 2 days ago via the T&E website (as well as Trade Me) and have had two email contacts, both from the T&E site, and both of which have proven to be scammers.Just a general warning to not sell your car or give bank account details to anyone who is claiming to want to buy your car without having seen it, and located overseas.You can find details about very similar scams worldwide below on the following links.

http://www.boostcruising.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t320535.html http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php!t=146870

(All of these searches came up when I Googled his mobile number which he supplied me - which is the same he has used in all these other cases too!)

If these people are operating via Trade & Exchange, I guess they might also do the same via Trade Me.General advise from T&E does emphasise the points of not selling to overseas buyers, just wanted to re-inforce from first hand experience!

I know there are a lot of legitimate traders out there, just trying to make people aware as would hate these scammers to profit from anyone.

Fortunately I smelt a rat and have not parted any personal information to these people.

Happy trading everyone:)

saki, Feb 7, 11:09pm
You lost your cred when you started your post with "SO" I am.

rach_sk8, Feb 7, 11:14pm
Sorry!I don't understand what you are meaning.

saki, Feb 7, 11:17pm
On one of your links

rach_sk8, Feb 7, 11:18pm
Right.The links were examples that I found online of very similar situations to mine, which I found when I Googled the mobile number given to me by the so-called 'interested buyer' of my car.Not my posts.

nicky21, Feb 7, 11:26pm
Either way, still one of the more bizarre responses I have seen. Didn't realise there was an issue with the word 'so'.

rach_sk8, Feb 7, 11:32pm
Yes, I thought a little strange myself. but anyway.:-)

Just trying to make people aware there are some dodgy folk out there, and to be cautious when selling their cars.Can't believe I have been contacted by two separate scammers in 2 days!

dimacka, Mar 25, 12:47pm
I had the same experience trying to sell a car on that website. Gumtree - even worse. Luckily they are very obvious - for now! Be interesting to see how these scams evolve now the general populace are aware of them.