Car Hire in UK

kiwibrit2, Feb 4, 5:45pm
Has anyone hired in Uk lately!Which firm can you recommend for 30+ days eg something like a Vauxhall Astra.Also want to avoid a hefty addition for 2nd driver.Has anyone found it is cheaper to hire in NZ rather than over in UK!

wpmoore, Feb 4, 7:01pm
My brother in law uses enterprise.co.uk when he comes over from NZ.

brummy23, Feb 4, 7:28pm
we booked throgh rhino they collect u by van from airport but they were one of cheapest and it was a brand new car 6 miles on the clock! we had a astra

tmenz, Feb 4, 7:45pm
We had a Kia Cee'd diesel for 4 weeks from Europcar in Eastbourne.
It was practically new and performed faultlessly.
It was booked and prepaid by the travel agent from NZ and was all in order and waiting when we arrived. The cost was discounted on what we would have paid if we'd waited until we got there.

socram, Feb 4, 8:16pm
SixT Rentals (used to be Kennings years ago) worked out best for me.They are situated on the main road on the southern edgeof Heathrow airport, right across the road from Hatton Cross tube station, rather than actually on airport land, but they run a shuttle bus.I had a 1.2 VW Polo last time.Faultless.

Many other branches around the UK.Just book via their website.Our Kiwi dollar is high against the pound at the moment.

I have also used Worldwide Reservations successfully, but they are an agency.

Try a Google search and there are hundreds!

clark20, Feb 4, 8:49pm
Just watch out for that dodgy around roundabout near there, I still can't get my head around them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_(Swindon)

attitudedesignz, Feb 4, 9:56pm
WTF!

Can't get my head 'round that and i'm only looking at a pic', stuff trying to drive 'round it.

vtecintegra, Feb 4, 10:15pm
My parents got a new Golf blue motion (the tiny diesel) while over there and I think the consensus was opt for something a little more powerful.

rsr72, Feb 5, 12:58am
AVIS great, specially if renting in the UK, then again in Europe.
Depots everywhere.

kiwibrit2, Feb 5, 6:44pm
Thanks for all your replies.We have used Enterprise,Hertz and 1car1 before it went to the wall - now revived as 121 I think.SixT we have seen (next to 1car1). The only quote from the travel agent was excessive but the 'add on' for a 2nd driver can make such a difference - if you can find out what it is - ir beat them when at the counter - we usually pay around £900 for 6 weeks and could be £10/day for 2nd driver! Some eg Avis and Budget don't like more than 30 days and also the diff frpom manual to auto can be a lot. Backj to searching with the ideas you have given - thanks

socram, Feb 5, 8:51pm
#6 - Swindon is not exactly on the south side of Heathrow Airport!
I used to live not far from Heathrow and it has changed rather a lot over the last few years, but not enough for it to stretch to Swindon.

Avis are a fair bit more expensive than SixT or Eurocar/National.

We investigated buying a car when we were there for several weeks in 2005.I hada Vauxhall Cavalier lined up for about $1,000, with MoT & Taxed for the period of our stay.The intention was to just drive it to the local car dismantlers at the end of our stay.However the (compulsory) insurance quotes were more than the cost of the hire car, even though I had been driving in the UK accident and claim free since 1963.

Next time, I am paying my son's insurance bill and he will just add me as a named driver and we'll use his car and he'll share his wife's.

Plenty of decent cheap cars over there and if you can sort out the insurance, could be a real doddle.

kiwibrit2, Feb 6, 6:14pm
Thanks again - I have looked at the Rhino car site, they have a different selection of cars and it works about the same as Enterprise. maybe dearer as the car selected was smaller, but the 'what's included ' was good.Will persevere as don't need it till June.

clark20, Feb 7, 8:22am
Not that one, just an example, it just down the road from Sixt,

Google earth
51°28'3.28"N
0°25'22.09"W

flashgordon_nz, Feb 7, 8:46am
try hereford. Owen bros commercials, also known as kiwi hire. Airport pick-up, bungalow to stay at, choice of cars, vans, campers. owned by kiwis. i used to work for them many years ago, and are still going.

kiwibrit2, Mar 27, 7:48am
Thanks for all your help.Have now booked via the agent after all as he came back with a good deal from Driveaway Hols. and Hertz, less than others and includes free extra driver and no drop off fee (we pick up in Manchester and leave at Heathrow).Rhino offered a Toyota Auris which looked a bit small and we almost booked that until I checked the agent's quote. We are having a Ford Mondeo Zetec.Thrify wanted £12 per day extra as we are over 70, that would have ADDED £468!