Clutch life expectancy

foxdonut, Feb 6, 9:35pm
Anyone care to make a guestimate what the average life expectancy of a clutch in a 2000 Toyota Echo might be!

Obviously its a piece of string question, but based on the assumption that the car has been owned by say, three drivers and all factory recommended servicing has done etc.

"its a white one" and has the 1.2 litre engine.

scoobeey, Feb 6, 9:54pm
if it was yellow would be different lol

mrfxit, Feb 6, 10:14pm
50 thou to 150 thou +

Rough guess & can't really say without SEEING & driving the car
knowing where/ how / how far each average trip / how many driver (not just owners)/ average loads (ppl & gear)

mrfxit, Feb 6, 10:16pm
WAY . different = sunny side UP .

. *mutters something about Egg's etc*
* runs away for another bite at someone else*

johnf_456, Feb 6, 10:18pm
Hard to say, basically depends how its driven and where its driven. Have had clutches to 300k sometimes, but to be on the safe side I'd say 150. But then again hard to say has some drivers will kill a clutch in 40k so really its a lottery.

Is this on a car you are looking at buying!

mrfxit, Feb 6, 10:20pm
Could have saved yourself a lot of blabbering by simply agreeing with ME ;-)

johnf_456, Feb 6, 10:20pm
Well I was typing while you were, amongst writing an email at the same time. But yip I agree with you

phillip.weston, Feb 6, 11:17pm
if it's one little old partially deaf granny owner I would say the clutch should be done soon haha. I don't think it would make a large point of difference - if it shows no immediate signs of slippage, shuddering or rumbly throw-out bearing I wouldn't see the need to replace it.

elect70, Feb 6, 11:25pm
If owned by female life expectancy will be short .

rod525, Feb 6, 11:26pm
Worse if it's a Granny.

socram, Feb 7, 12:13am
Worse still if a Granny based on the Shore, riding the clutch at all the traffic lights and with a steep drive to the home garage only going to the shops every couple of days for more incontinence pants.

intrade, Feb 7, 12:48am
clutches usually are worn at 170,000km most cars i use to change a clutch has that sort of milage . new duealmass crap last less long.

foxdonut, Feb 7, 5:14am
Yeah, I know its hard to make even a reasonable guess because of the variables. I get a mild crunch in reverse from cold and also I think I'm getting some slippage in forward gears too. I thought it might be a throttle problem but without a tach I can't tell.

I'll just drive it 'till it fails and post the outcome.

the_chooky, Feb 7, 7:11am
If you keep your foot off the thing, it'll last forever.

trish149, Feb 8, 9:57pm
1994 toyota corolla at dads work. has 1 owner since new.still on original clutch 400,000kms later.

johnf_456, Feb 8, 10:27pm
^ wouldn't surprise me if it has been treated right. Obviously the driver can drive properly and doesn't ride it some people do, easier to leave a bit of gap so your not riding it constant. Has it will burn out in no time that way while creeping in traffic.

vtecintegra, Mar 28, 2:05am
The clutch in my Integra lasted to 190,000kms when I sold it and that car was not treated gently.Admittedly was slipping a bit by that stage but still driveable.

170,000 seems like a pretty low expectation to me if the car is treated properly.