Getting property from a impounded car fees

chevy1232, Feb 7, 9:43am
Need advice, daughters car was impounded, and the tow & storage company forgot to give her her house keys before he left. Hes just emailed her today and stated to get her house keys back she will need to pay $360 in which $100 will go towards the tow & storage fees once her 28 days is up and $260 is there fee to get the keys back. Just wondering if thats correct!

bdogg1, Feb 7, 9:47am
My car was impounded in 2005 and they let me get something off the back seat 2 weeks into the 4 week impound period with no objections. Let me personally get it too.

Where are the keys! Surely the police don't have them. I heard that if there's a fire at the impound or your local mechanic etc and the fire fighters don't have access to the keys to move it out of harms way it voids your insurance and the impound yards too for that matter! And what if they need to shuffle the cars around. Do they need to get the keys off the police! Sounds fishy to me.

chevy1232, Feb 7, 9:57am
Thought so myself. He is at fault in the first place as he did not give her the keys back before he left in which he said he would. Find it strange that he contacted her to see if she wanted them back in which shes not bothered about getting them at a cost of $260 just to get some keys.

chevy1232, Feb 7, 9:59am
The keys are on the keyring with the car keys. When the vehicle was impounded she was taking them off the keyring but than he asked for them to move the car and said he would give them back once finish but left than emailed the next day

jsbike, Feb 7, 10:53am
above is correct, I was also able to get some stuff out of my car before impound period finished.

noswalg, Feb 7, 7:40pm
Guilty till proven innocent aye! The point is the car was impounded not any of the property in the car. I would be forwarding that email to consumer affairs as well, it amazes me how many towies seem to think they are above the law

antz511, Feb 7, 8:37pm
she can get her personal stuff out of the car during the 28days there is no fee for that and she jsut gota pay the whole amount when the 28 days rolles around hopefully it not a sunday like mine was,but cos id payed early they let me get it out on the sunday not the monday.

intrade, Feb 7, 9:07pm
take the email and the printout of the pdf above and go to the cops and tell them you want to lay charges for extortion. as per above.

freedomaira320, Feb 7, 10:30pm
You are confusing two separate issues. She is not fighting the actual impoundment of the car, just the fact that the property in it seems to have been impounded as well, which is unjust and illegal.

intrade, Feb 7, 10:34pm
qote from post 1 and $260 is there fee to get the keys back
that is extortion to charge for the key to be handed back.

elect70, Feb 7, 10:56pm
Only solution is to go to the yard & ask them to take the house keys off the ring . Your right to have personal property back without charge .If they refuse ring cops make a big fuss & they may send a plod around . Stay there until you get them .

lookoutas, Feb 8, 5:22am
Assume the cops initiated the impoundment, so go tell them the story. Someone might get a kick up the arse!
Make it their problem.

sw20, Feb 9, 1:09am
Sorry what has that got to do with the towie trying to extort money out of the the OP to get her belongings!

therafter1, Feb 9, 2:15am
Time too concede Kaz . you have misfired in this instance.

sfw4, Feb 9, 8:33am
right back atya.
this is about personal property, not whos right and whos wrong of some defect on a Car. Youd be a sucker to fool real easy if you believe what you're thinking

sfw4, Feb 9, 8:34am
Correct!

suplyuparts, Mar 30, 6:01pm
you can remove property for the car as long its not bolted down.keys should be in the car.they have to give it back.an only the onwer of the car can get them out with i.d .28days lock down an $360-380 to get it out.the dickheads cant charged if the owner wants the house key.