Car swap rules!

msmac, Feb 9, 8:24am
My son arranged to swap his car with another guy. They swapped for a day to test each others cars. The other guy asked that certain work be done first on my son's car, and my son worked for a day on his car to get these things done. They then made the swap, and shook on it. The next day, the guy returned with my son's car, said he still wanted a couple of things done on it, and while my son did this, he got in his old car (now my son's car) and fled. He has since texted my son and said the deal is off. Does my son have any rights here!

les6, Feb 9, 8:31am
he also has the right,and has used it to the max,tobe sucked in!

tmenz, Feb 9, 8:54am
Does that mean they now have their original cars back! Back to square 1 - so what's the loss!

dent, Feb 9, 9:16am
have they done change of ownership!

msigg, Feb 9, 9:25am
Sorry but I think your son ( hope) has learnt a lesson. Hand shakes and the word of someone mean stuff all.Get over it and move on.buy and sell a car the correct way.

bendean, Feb 9, 9:32am
hopefully the other swapper hasnt thrashed ur sons car while he had it

msmac, Feb 9, 9:41am
My son had done the change of ownership.
Yes, he has learned a lesson. What would you recommend when doing a swap of vehicles! Both sign a written agreement!

suplyuparts, Feb 9, 10:13am
cops wont do shit.just be put to the back of the cabinet.if hes got hiz car back an the guy said no deal.cops wont look into it anymore.i no.happen to me.i got my winnings in the end.

ryans, Feb 9, 10:25am
Do the change of ownership back for your son's original car and deregister the new car that the guy took back.

suplyuparts, Feb 9, 10:35am
haha.yea do that.dereg the other car.nada he can do.

bendean, Feb 9, 10:49am
dont bother with the police my car got stolen at the rotary nationals and they closed the case 5 days later if they let that crap slide then they wont even listen to you, take it as a lesson next time get a contract, make sure everyone is happy and then both sign and date then it is a legal contract, then if he came back you can say stick you signed it but the change of ownership paper could be evidence if say your sons car suffered damage when the other swapper was in possesion.
oh and the dereg thing sounds good just make sure you get there first.

unideck, Feb 9, 12:40pm
Agree, better to pop it on hold, that way next time he gets pulled hes in more trouble than he can shake a stick at, best case scenario for him is he don't get pulled by the boys in blue but gets into a stress battle when the next wof & rego are due. Go on, do it, ya know it makes sense haha

jason18, Feb 9, 5:03pm
What cars did they swap! Has your son looked at his tires! make sure he didnt thrash the crap out of it!

socram, Feb 9, 8:25pm
For some of us, the handshake and our word still means something - but you still have assess and decide if you trust the other party.

attitudedesignz, Feb 9, 8:28pm
Yep, i'm one of those people.

jsbike, Mar 31, 4:54pm
I vote for you son to de-reg the other guys car too, which is still in your sons name. if its de-reg the other guy will need to re comply the car lol, thats $500 or so isnt it!