Selling Honda Accord parts, how do I go about it!

vinbeazil, Feb 10, 7:43am
I crashed my 1995 Honda Accord yesterday and it isn't really worth fixing as there is extensive damage to the front of the car that is structual. A panel beater has said I can sell in in parts and scrap the rest but how do I do this. The car is in very good condition apart from where it lost to the ute that hit me and the motor has no damage so that is good also.

(mrs vinbeazil posting, so in terms I can understand if possible.)

foxdonut, Feb 10, 7:53am
The easiest way is to call a scrap dealer that prefers Honda's and organise for them to make an offer on it and cart if away. You won't get much, if anything for it this way. Maybe a hundred bucks or so.

If you want money for it you'll need to part it out, which usually results in the bulk of the car being left on the lawn to rot after a few people come and cherry pick the best bits.

Depending on condition, items of value will be: Windows and windsheilds, lights, radiator, clutch, seats, stereo, wheels and non-mangled panels like doors or boot lid. Most can be plucked off with a screw driver, but you'll be left with a hulk that is expensive to transport and worthless.

a18a, Feb 10, 7:59am
you could probably get a couple hundred selling it as it is depending on its condition, or more if you sell in parts, but it will take a lot longer selling in parts & you end up with a eyesore on your lawn

foxdonut, Feb 10, 8:01am
Unless the TradeMe narks have banned the practice, it used to be possible to run an auction listing the car as salvage and offer to run auctions for parts based on what people asked for.

vinbeazil, Feb 10, 8:03am
I have thought of this as an option but all I could list them as is 'that thing that was on the other thing' I would definatly need someone who knew what they were doing.

kdcentralni, Feb 10, 8:04am
Get your insurance payout and dump the Honda and get on with your life nothing worse than people asking for you to put an auction up for the centre console lid and never go through with the sale or offer you $10.00 for the entire steerimng column expect you to pull it out and send it to them in the south island. Then they want you to check what the part number is on the alternator, that for the life of you you cant find etc. you will end up selling the wheels most convienient and the sun visor and get weeds and grass growing up to the wing mirrors in no time. I hope the landlord or wife love you.

vinbeazil, Feb 10, 8:06am
It was only third party unfortunatly, better to cover the other guy in something like this then not have insurance at all.

I am the wife, I am the one who crashed it so want to atleast make a bit of money to get something to fit the kids in.

foxdonut, Feb 10, 8:36am
Sorry, but there isn't really a third option - you either pull it apart and sell the bits or you get rid of it cheap via a wrecker.

If the car was a Bugatti Type 57 Atlantic then everything would have a high value, but its an Accord, a car that is easy to get parts for. I just got rid of a 91 model, still driving (quite well I might add) for 120 bucks to a wrecker in Porirua and I consider I got a pretty reasonable deal since it needed structural rust repairs and all round new tires for a warrant.

vinbeazil, Apr 4, 2:43am
Yeah that is what I thought, Hondas are not reallyin short supply. Seems they are every third car at the supermarket car park. Thank you everyone for your advice.