Opinions on 2001 Honda Accord wagon?

utwo, Aug 29, 8:36am
I'm thinking about buying a Honda Accord wagon, like the one in listing 365868689. The only thing that concerns me is that a bit of research on Google indicates the auto transmissions in this generation Accord are a bit dodgy, i.e. it's more a question of when rather than if it will fail. Can anyone share their personal experience!

fordcrzy, Aug 29, 8:49am
whats your budget and we will give you some options.

audi_s_ate, Aug 29, 8:52am
Look for smoothness when engaging drive and swapping gears particularly into 2nd I have found as that is usually the first to go in my experience. Most will give good service if the trans has had a service but many rarely do. Most cases its a bit of a lottery. My parents wagon US 2.2sohcvtec was fully loaded 100% of the time (work vehicle) and went at 130kms reconditioned was fine until 260km when we sold it - working perfectly.Sometimes it can be a bit of a lottery.
The fuel economy of these engines are best in class we would regularly achieve 7l per 100km on trip with 5 on board plus luggage - also fitted a 401litre fridge in the back with the boot closed!

utwo, Aug 29, 9:04am
Budget - I'd prefer to spend as little as possible since it's a depreciating asset. In terms of reliability, would I be better off spending $10k on a Mazda 6/Atenza wagon with high k's!

fordcrzy, Aug 29, 9:13am
the atenzas are pretty bullet proof

antwerp87, Aug 29, 9:13am
There an awesome car. The 99-02 wagons have a 2.3l vtec motor in them (F23A3) Very reliable if you keep them serviced, good economy, smooth ride, good storage. There usually a tidy all round car.

audi_s_ate, Aug 29, 9:20am
Probably not as they are just as likely to go having higher kms. The 2.3 in the 6 is pretty hungry also. Your accord would still be cheaper even with recond the trans.
Mondeo's in manual would be another low cost option - heaps have high km without significant problems. Just go for one after 03 when they sorted issues out.
The accord is pretty good value IMO - just get a really good flush done with genuine Honda ATF and you should be ok.
I quite like the p12 primera's with the 2.0 neo 6sp manual and they can be had under 10g at times.

vtecintegra, Aug 29, 9:45am
Many of the transmission failures are in the US market V6 with the early 5 speed box - the four cylinders are much better.

titan15, Aug 29, 11:53am
I have a 1999 SiR and find that Hondas generally are are bit rougher in the autos especially in the lower gears.However they just seem to keep going so maybe the servicing is a factor. The link in post 9 seems good value but the cam belt will need doing soon.not huge dollars.
All in all great cars for the money in what is a fairly limited market.

bignzer1, Aug 29, 10:09pm
If you are able to spend a little more try and get the 2002 and later models. Much nicer car alround. Good luck