Returning a car

lu_lu1, Dec 24, 7:03pm
Can someone return a car, after having bought it, as is where is, a week before. The car was going well, prior to being sold, it had a brand new warrant of fitness and rego. The buyer took it for a drive, was happy with the sound of the motor and the gears, looked under the car , checked the water, oil, tyres, etc. He was told the car had been sitting for a few months, off the road, as thewarrant and rego both ran out.
Sounds like the car has a problem now.

tgray, Dec 24, 7:09pm
The only time they could return it is if 1. It was sold by a dealer, and 2. it was not sold at auction.
The wording 'as is where is' under these circumstances, is meaningless as you cannot contract out of the consumer guarantees act.
If sold privately and you have 'as is where is' in writing, then it is there problem now.

jonthefisho, Dec 24, 7:23pm
For an As is where is car.I hope they only paid about the scrap value for it which would be about $250 at todays rate.

kazbanz, Dec 24, 7:41pm
Theres the hypothetical world and theres the real world. In the real world humans seem capable of doing just about anything.
But I'd suggest the question was phrased wrong.--"Do I have to give them their money back" is probably the question you mean to ask.
The answer to that question is NO

franc123, Dec 24, 7:44pm
The seller can hardly be responsible for problems that develop after its sold, if the buyer was satisfied with the condition of the car and clearly didn't find anything that deterred them from going ahead with the purchase, didn't call in a pro to inspect it further AND agreed to an as is where is sale then its their problem now.Oh and what exactly is this "problem"!

lu_lu1, Dec 24, 8:02pm
I don't think they have said. The buyer was going to have the car looked at, after one of his kids took it for a spin. this car had power.heaps of it, scary.
Not my car, there are a few messages on the answer phone an e-mail etc.
the last one was by phone, the car was to be returned.

tgray, Dec 24, 8:20pm
It's there choice to return the car, but it's YOUR choice if you decide to give their money back. Legally, you don't have to and there's nothing they can do about it.

bellky, Dec 24, 8:23pm
tell them politely to get stuffed - don't be intimidated and stand your ground.

lu_lu1, Dec 24, 8:35pm
Thanks, have a good Xmas.

chevcamaro, Dec 24, 9:12pm
merry xmasto you alll

mrfxit, Dec 24, 10:10pm
RIGHT THERE ^^^
May be not but . just saying>>> you know what!

bjdw, Dec 24, 10:14pm
Kiddies been doing wheelies and blown it up. HAHAHAHAHAHA

tgray, Dec 24, 10:21pm
wonder what kind of car is was!

skull, Dec 25, 5:54am
It was a Royal Doulton Bidet, well known to be very scary under heavy acceleration, in fact likely to frighten the crap out of you.