Car with 4 space savers on it!

tgray, Dec 29, 2:21am
Subaru legacy seen today.
Got me wondering the following:
1. technically road legal!
2.technically, would still pass a WOF! ie: sufficient tyre tread and same sized tyres on axle, etc.
3. How much more dangerous to drive than having 3 regular sized tyres and only 1 space saver!
4. The guy behind the wheel looked fairly proud of himself, I must admit.
Bloody idiot.

tigra, Dec 29, 2:22am
Isnt there a distance max you are allowed to use these for! Wouldnt that preclude getting a WoF.

gadgit3, Dec 29, 2:27am
A fitted space saver is a fail for a WoF. There is a large sticker on the space saver that says 80km/h max speed and for temp use ONLY

tonyrockyhorror, Dec 29, 2:32am
Technically legal. no. It's technically below WoF standard (see below) and you shouldn't be operating it on the road unless for the sole purpose of bringing it into compliance and provided it is safe to do so.
Still pass a WoF. no. You can't have even one 'space saver' fitted and still pass a WoF inspection.
Safe. yes. Provided you don't exceed their capabilities.

I don't understand the question #4. ;-)

gadgit3, Dec 29, 2:39am
I'd like to see what happened if he got pulled up on it. As it should be an offense being the car only has provision for one space saver so this driver has purposely gone out and found 3 others to drive round on.
And then theres the other part of the story if this car was in an accident there would be grounds for a good list of charges.

lugee, Dec 29, 2:47am
What I'm wondering is in what situation you'd need to use 4 space savers, and then why you would bother going out of your way to get them. Maybe space savers are the next big thing

gadgit3, Dec 29, 2:52am
It's just people that like to be outside the rules they know it's wrong and try their best to get away with it for as long as possible

horsygirl, Dec 29, 2:55am
jap import driven by Labour Party supporter.

sanremo, Dec 29, 3:12am
Maybe his sweet mags just got stolen.

the_don_61, Dec 29, 3:17am
Nissan Infiniti's Q45's and pressies have a alloy space saver.and they look real sportie.

moosie_21, Dec 29, 3:34am
Yup, either that or he's doing "mad az burnouts, yo" on them.

rob_man, Dec 29, 3:59am
I have seen it done on an AWD DOHC turbo Familia to do helicopter spins in a carpark. Worked a treat.

mrfxit, Dec 29, 4:36am
THAT . happened a few years ago on the Auckland motorway
Car went from Auckland to Taupo & was on it's way home to Auckland when the tyres/ tyre burst killing the driver.
Started a HUGE stink/stir up of the wof systems & inspections

mrfxit, Dec 29, 4:41am
Space savers ruber are on average, only 1/3 the width & height of the factory std wheels.
Factory wheel types are considered the Minimum needed to handle correctly on any specific vehicle
Factory height is compensated by fitting a taller rim (eg: std 14"/ spacesaver 15" or 16" )

richard198, Dec 29, 4:45am
I dread to think how that wouldn't handle around a corner; it's bad enough with just one!

thejazzpianoma, Dec 29, 5:07am
Probably gone to the Salvation army shop or similar and seen them for sale for $5 each.

kazbanz, Dec 29, 5:31am
betyahe's of to the mag shop

elect70, Dec 29, 6:41am
Broken intoseveral carboots & nicked them .Good forspins eh bro, bit deisel on them

falcon15, Dec 29, 7:48am
in the wof manual it says its a fail if it has 1 or more space savers fitted

ema1, Dec 29, 8:52am
Got it in .one tgrayQuote.4. The guy behind the wheel looked fairly proud of himself, I must admit.
Bloody idiot.
BLOODY IDIOT for sure, I guess there's those who push the boundaries, some at their peril.They are ones with the "NO TOMORROW MENTALITY!"
I didn't have to look at the car make to know what the make was either.guess what I was dead rightSUBARU.
Why are idiots & thieves attracted to those pieces of crap I wonder!
Funny thing today I saw in my travels 4 cars pulled over by cops for whatever, all the cars pulled over were .wait for it SUBARU'S. 3 Impreza's and 2 Legacy's
Go figure.

treachug, Dec 29, 10:26am
nah - ordered online & waiting for them to arrive from overseas

ema1, Dec 30, 8:52am
Got it in .one tgrayQuote.4. The guy behind the wheel looked fairly proud of himself, I must admit.
Bloody idiot.
BLOODY IDIOT for sure, I guess there's those who push the boundaries, some at their peril.They are ones with the "NO TOMORROW MENTALITY!"
I didn't have to look at the car make later mentioned on the OPto know what the make was either.guess what I was dead rightSUBARU.
Why are idiots & thieves attracted to those pieces of crap I wonder!
Funny thing today I saw in my travels 4 cars pulled over by cops for whatever, all the cars pulled over were .wait for it SUBARU'S. 3 Impreza's and 1 Legacy
Go figure.