Car speakers, original always sound better!

divermark, Jan 7, 11:08am
100% correct, aftermarket speakers are the opposite of factory. high capacity with low efficency.

Just get a small cheap amp like the Sony XM-GTX6020 (2ch) or XM-GTX6040 (4ch).It'll sound way better than standard.

ambo11, Dec 29, 6:18am
My Mazda has really bassy and loud original factory speakers, but they are starting to distort due to age I guess. Question is when I have replaced speakers in doors etc in the past in my cars with name brand 6.5 inch speakers etc they never sound anywhere near as powerful as originals. Usually spend $70-100 or thereabouts on JVC/Pioneer/Panasonic etc and fit them correctly but they always disappoint compared to originals sound and bass wise. So whats the trick! Do I need to spend $200 or so, or get component speakers! Ones I have now sound really nice but distort too early.guess I could price original Mazda ones but would hate to imagine the price.

hi_lemon, Dec 29, 6:41am
Turn down the bass.
Excess bass causes distortion and will cause the speakers to deteriorate.

johnf_456, Dec 29, 6:43am
What sort of music do you listen to!

morrisman1, Dec 29, 6:47am
John, I get the feeling you are a Michael Buble fan

trdbzr, Dec 29, 6:49am
What mazda have you got!

johnf_456, Dec 29, 6:53am
no way and I dont prefer the name for future reference.

sw20, Dec 29, 6:59am
johnf_456

clearly a Michael Bolton fan from way back.

johnf_456, Dec 29, 7:00am
Lets not de rail the thread

ambo11, Dec 29, 8:07am
Its an NZ new Mazda 626 late 90's, and I don't have it super loud.as for music mainly 70s/80s etc.no heavy stuff.just want speakers which will sound as good as original. As for turning bass down its actually on zero now.turning it to 2, 4or 6 distorts the speakers instantly. Panasonic head unit, no separate amp. I can have it fairly loud if I choose no bass whatsoever but whats the point in that!.lol

morrisman1, Dec 29, 8:10am
it will take more convincing than that mr John_buble

marcos1, Dec 29, 8:17am
Be careful morrisman1.His "report it here " function is ,at the moment,

still very active.

alimac1, Dec 29, 8:18am
High quality speakers are often less efficient than cheaper ones, so need more power to produce the same volume. But turning the amp higher means it may start clipping, which creates square waves which will destroy speakers.

scotty20001, Dec 29, 8:25am
i have JBL components in my Commodore powered by a JVC KDR626 head unit sounds really clean and nice and crank loud when you need them to even with out an amplifier! what head unit are you running! if its the original that came with the car the amp wont be powerful enough to power after market speakers efficiently.

ambo11, Dec 29, 8:31am
Its a Panasonic, basic CD player which I fitted recently, nothing flash.