Car audio help please,,,,

walkyluvva, Feb 8, 4:51am
Im a complete novice when it comes to this sort of thing, can someone give me a basic wiring setup. Do I have to run two pos wires from the battery ( amp & head unit ) or can I just run the one & split off to each ! also, on the stereo plug harness, there are 'system remote control', 'mute', 'ILL' & 'ACC' wires, what are the functions of these. I basically thought all I had to do was to hook the head unit & amp up to a power source, run RCA leads to the amp & speakers out of the amp. But theres a few more wires that Im not sure about. Any ideas ! Cheers

jasongroves, Feb 8, 6:30am
Depending on your vehicle there should already be a constant 12v supply for the existing stereo, so no need to run a power cable from the battery to the head unit.
The functions of the wires will be explained in the owners manual which is probably available online too. What make and model of vehicle and head unit!
ILL is short for illumination and ACC is accessory, which goes to a 12v supply that turns on and off with the key, which should also be easily accessible if there was a head unit previously installed.

jasongroves, Feb 8, 6:32am
System remote control is probably blue! If so and its the only remote wire, that is the signal wire for the amp (tells it when to turn on and off) and goes to the 'remote' input on the amp.
Mute is most likely a telephone mute, which mutes the volume when a call is received.

andrea_w, Feb 8, 6:33am
You are after very very basic info and to be honest, if I was to answer those questions I can see a heap more follow up questions will follow.
Going by your lack of knowledge (not criticizing, everyone has to learn somewhere), I suggest you get someone with good audio knowledge to install it all for you. If you try, I'd say you will run in to a lot of problems!
I know someone that fits audio, let me know if you're keen :)

jasongroves, Feb 8, 6:34am

stylez, Feb 17, 8:40am
Hi all. To andrea_w or anyone else. I'm looking for someone to install a car stereo for me at hopefully a reasonable price. Any help appreciated. Thanks

andrea_w, Feb 17, 8:51am
I have some auctions running. you can contact me through one of them

carkitter, Apr 29, 2:02pm
Do you have a test light or a multimeter and know how to use them to find the power supplies you need! Do you know how to identify speaker wires v power wires! If not, then I wouldn't recommend you attempt it alone; you run the risk of damaging your car's electrical systems AND your audio equipment. The fact that you might want to run one power wire
for both the head unit (low current) and amp (high current) concerns me.

BTW, Mute connects to a cellphone carkit and ILL connects to the park lights to dim the display at night.