Car won't start in Park

midgetmum, Dec 31, 6:07pm
does anyone else have a problem with their car that is contrary about starting - sometimes just won't start, is dead, but is not the battery.Have to jiggle gear stick, steering wheel, take key in and out etc and sometimes can start in neutral.Goes fine for months then will suddenly play up again.Seems to be hot weather but maybe just coincidence.

romulan7, Dec 31, 6:54pm
We have a Toyota Coaster Automatic like that.Bit of jiggling about and it will work.We did get told what causes it but until it wont start at all nothing will get done about it!Has been like it for a few years now.

alan1111, Dec 31, 7:30pm
Inhibotor switch on trans

romulan7, Dec 31, 7:31pm
Thats the animal

msigg, Dec 31, 9:56pm
Yea you need to fiddle with one thing at a time to isolate the problem, if you know wht i mean. gearstick or key switch.

singing1, Dec 31, 10:37pm
If your car wont start in park maybe take it to the zoo or the swimming pool.

midgetmum, Jan 1, 12:46am
'singing1' - thought this was a forum for seeking information, not a way of playing silly b.'s.!Thankyou to the helpful serious replies, much appreciated.

40wav, Jan 1, 12:49am
Have you not been here before!!

gammelvind, Jan 1, 12:53am
One posts and takes the answers given, not everyone is to be taken seriously, even the serious replies. The title was bound to ellicit that comment.

moosie_21, Jan 1, 2:41am
Exact same thing happened to me 2 nights ago. In park, battery fine, nothing wrong with alternator. Hit the starter motor on the head a few times with blunt object, starts over like new again!

lookoutas, Jan 1, 2:59am
Exactly what I first thought.

This has been thrashed to death on here, and only within the last week.
Jer-jiggle the shifter while holding the key on start. Our Workshop run-about does this periodically, and that's all we do.