Took my car in

sd8888, Feb 18, 3:22am
i have a 1997 gtb legacy got told my centre diff is stuffed and got quoted $920 is that good any info would be appreciated. :) thankyou

mechnificent, Feb 18, 3:36am
Well it's a simple job to change it and it can be done in place, so you really want to price the parts and see how the quote looks then.
Two hours would probably be enough time to change one, depending on the exhaust set-up and whether it's manual or auto though.

sd8888, Feb 18, 3:55am
it's auto and has an exhaust system.

sd8888, Feb 18, 3:55am
What parts would i need!

mechnificent, Feb 18, 4:11am
A set of clutches, couple of seals, a gasket.
Clutches you can get from someone like BNT and they will be about seven dollars each, there are five to six.The seals and gasket get from a dealer cause BNT will want to sell you a whole gasket and seal kit for. about two hundred I think. you can check around though.

mechnificent, Feb 18, 4:19am
Was it the oil changers that told you the "diff" was buggered!

How do you know it's buggered!

What symptoms!

The most common symptom that people notice is that the clutches are locked on. whic isn't the clutches fault, it's in the control system.

gtrmotorsport, Feb 18, 4:32am
If is "dragging" when you are at full lock and driving forward its the centre diff but its not the actual diffirential. its a electronic valve problem inside the transmission. the price given is around what subaru would charge you and is fair it takes some time to do.

mechnificent, Feb 18, 4:36am
If it is the solenoid, it can be changed in about two hours and in place as well.

sd8888, Feb 18, 4:43am
the guy at subaru took it for a drive and said it was the centre diff

mechnificent, Feb 18, 4:47am
So is there no drive to the back wheels, or, is it making noises and handling funny in sharp turns!

sd8888, Feb 18, 4:53am
making noises and happening funny it still drives ok

intrade, Feb 18, 4:54am
id remove the diff lol
or better the driveshaft to the diff. cheap as then

mechnificent, May 3, 2:13pm
Ok then, it's probably an electrical problem or the solenoid's valve is stuck. Both parts are in the back tailhousing and can be accessed without taking the box out. If you need to change the solenoid then they need to drop the pan and valve body which will involve a fluid change as well. The job should still be easily done in three hours even with the testing. I don't know how much the solenoid is, but it may not even be the problem. there could be a wiring problem outside the box. Either way, that price sounds mighty dear to me. I'd try to find a competent independent workshop that knows subarus. Failing that, I'd be asking the dealer how they diagnosed the fault, what their diagnosis tells them, and what they intend doing for that money.