Do you still warm up your car!

johnmd1, Feb 19, 12:36am

ola_bitchola1, Feb 19, 12:40am
i dont warm up my car just take it easy till its up to temp.

my 2 stroke bike i let it idle for 30 seconds to a minute as i put my gloves and gear on.

my 4 stroke bike i let it idle for 15 seconds to warm it up a bit (oil cooled) as i put my gloves on.

i dont really give them many revs till i get to the 1st set of lights which is about 1/3 of my daily route to work where generally they are up to temp at that point

alimac1, Feb 19, 12:41am
Start the car, back out of the garage, get out and close the garage door, Drive round to the gate, open, drive through, close, slowly down 100m drive to road, the drive off, keeping revs below 3500 till engine is warm

jason18, Feb 19, 1:01am
I do only due to the valiant runs like pooze until its warmed up due to no manual choke set up.

johnmd1, Feb 19, 1:26am
yes,it seems it's all about the fuel system.i had always thought it was about oil,

thejazzpianoma, Feb 19, 1:46am
The Greenies just love to make everything black and white.

It depends on the vehicle and conditions, sure it really makes little difference with a modern car in our climate. However if you drive a classic/vintage you should stick to what the manufacturer intended.

I would be severely pissed off if I lived in a country where it snows and some namby pamby tree huggers decided to limit my ability to warm my vintage/classic before proceeding. (like is mentioned in the article)

Also. just imagine if they came and complained you were idling your modern when you needed to do so for diagnostic/repair reasons. Time they buggered off and took notice of some real issues for a change.

aredwood, Feb 19, 2:09am
Ask them how installing air conditioning units (heat pumps) in everyone's houses reduces greenhouse gas emissions. Trans power have forecast massive increases in national electricity usage as a result.

joker9377, Feb 19, 2:37am
re the power bills.$450 in winter and $90 in summer.what a crock of $hit! Have a fire and gas for shower.so nothing actually changes except their price. Grrrrr

dasfi, Feb 19, 9:04am
Always let me car warm up for 3mins or so before driving

big.b-lil.c, Feb 19, 9:41am
i let the capri warm up its a pain to drive when cold, it backfires through the carbs and is hard to drive. our newer cars i just drive gently until up to temp

johnf_456, Feb 19, 10:24am
2. Ten seconds is all you need

Environmental Defense Fund, which produced the Idling Gets You Nowhere campaign, advises motorists to turn off their ignition if they're sitting stopped for more than 10 seconds.

"After about 10 seconds, you waste more money running the engine than restarting it, said Andy Darrell, deputy director of the EDF Energy Program. "Switch the car off at the curb, and you'll be leaving money in your wallet and protecting the air in your community."

quote from the article.
Haha from this article, is this why I hear people re starting there cars in auckland traffic.

hawat, May 5, 3:51pm
BMW owners manual says you don't have to, Just drive gently until up to operating temp. Not a huge thing in nz but this is the same manual that goes into cars going to Canada and in Europe where the winter temps are much lower. Good enough for me. Our Shopping basket is a 10 year old Corolla and it doesn't get a warm up either. Still chugs on without drama but we live in auck so mild winters.