Locking motorcycle throttle twist grip!

unclejake, Feb 9, 3:26am
Folks, I am looking for a twin cable, motorcycle twist grip that I can adjust for friction. It is for a 21mm bar.

It isn't for a bike, but I need to be able to take my hand off the throttle (which will have tension on it) and have the throttle stay in the same position for an extended period. This probably needs an adjustable level of friction to stop the throttle returning to the stops when it is let go as I don't yet know how much force will be acting against it.

The cables need to have at least a 60mm pull (60mm seems standard).

Does such a thing exist and where can I find one!

Thanks,

evopaul, Feb 9, 4:00am
As above. and Harley Davidsonsof the early and mid 90's had such a throttle with that friction adjustment so should be second hand ones around. The bars were bigger than 21mm diameter tho.

trogedon, Feb 9, 4:41am
I bought one from Motomail. It was for a Honda but it looked pretty generic.I used it for years = it was great. It was nice to rest my right hand/arm on extended rides and wave to others using my right hand (not normally expected).

unclejake, Feb 9, 5:35am
Thanks. This might be along the lines of the answer, but I need it next week

http://www.brakeawayproducts.com/

muzz67, Feb 9, 8:17am
Nah, just push the grip on too far so its tight against the housing

gunhand, Feb 9, 8:32am
Seen one of these things on a zzr1100 in a dunedin bike shop couple of weeks back. If it was any simplier it wouldnt be funny. but hard to explain how it worked lol.

unclejake, Feb 9, 8:42am
I guess now that I think about it more: What I need is a twist grip that stays locked in place unless I push a button in with my thumb and can can then turn the twist grip while the button is depressed

I am sure I have seen something like that on something. I just can't think of what it was.

sifty, Feb 9, 7:51pm
My '47 Speed Twin has a small spring-ratchet type grip as standard just out of interest, that can hold position as you describe.

pdc1, Feb 9, 10:17pm
what about outboard motors. Alot of the small outboards have twist grip throttles on the end of the tiller, and usually there is a friction device on it. Go around a few boat shops and have a look at the different models. Maybe something like that will do the trick for you! (I know that some mercury have double cables 8-15hp usa 2 stroke) - not sure about other makes, some have shafts )

jsbike, Feb 9, 10:20pm
what about an old gear selector from a 10 speed push bike, before "index" gears came out

stephenb1, Feb 10, 12:55am
come on man up stay away from japers.

stephenb1, Feb 10, 12:57am
yea the old tr6 had much the same too. trumps rlue.

unclejake, Feb 10, 5:26am
Good thinking, but I had a look at a couple and they worked by twisting a rod rather than a cable pull

I might try a metal m/c throttle tube, drill some holes in it, and spring load a button popping up and out of the handlebar - through the throttle tube

irenew, Feb 10, 5:31am
But spelling doesn't!!

neell, Feb 10, 5:38am
when you say "twin cable" do you mean 2 cables 2 suit a twin carb set up or a throttle and a return cable! Also it is 7/8" bar not 21 bloody mm;-).

unclejake, Feb 10, 5:54am
Throttle and return Neel. I bought 21mm o/d tube, not 7/8ths, but the 7/8ths stuff I have clamps onto it well :-)

purple666, Feb 10, 7:28am
Put a friction plate on whatever you are connecting cables to and no return spring, no need to lock twist grip then as it will just stay where you set it

neell, Feb 12, 12:00am
most English bikes had the setup you are looking for and should be easy to find one. As for taking the return spring out I wouldn't go that way, by having the return spring and an adjustable friction system you have the option of having it stay where you set it or returning when released.