Car Thieves of today = Horse Thieves of yesteryear

whqqsh, Jan 10, 4:24am
Years ago when a horse was your main mode of transport, was your second most expensive possession & usually your livelihood, horse thieves were considered the lowest of the low & often hung (killed, executed whatever you like depending on your PC-ness).
These days a car is also usually your main mode of transport, was your second most expensive possession & usually your livelihood. so why are we so soft on car thieves today! Especially when the upset they cause in peoples lives is far more than just losing a possession due to transport being so much more a vital part of todays life.

alan1111, Jan 10, 4:30am
Because the prisons are full scum and nowhere to put the car thieves who are also scum. Give them PD which dont work. Fine them that dont work either.
I reckon if they overstayers send them back to their country of origin let them be scum there.

flitt, Jan 10, 4:31am
Two-part debate here.

1. Are we soft on car thieves! Should they be hung!

2. Are cars a more vital mode of transport today than horses were in yesteryear! Is the hurt more today!

Should be interesting.

sred69, Jan 10, 4:35am
send them to oz its still a penal colony right!

marmatt, Jan 10, 4:52am
cut there fingers off so they wont do it again( yea right slap on the hand and back at it 1 day later

moosie_21, Jan 10, 6:21am
One finger for every crime. Soon run out of fingers if they kept it up. Or brand a "T" on their forehead. Not like they will ever be of any use to society anyways. Maybe we should start a Gulag system!

fordcrzy, Jan 10, 7:27am
of course the big question is.

where did they hide the gps trackers on the horses!

mugenb20b, Jan 10, 7:35am
In some countries, they cut your hand off, so you don't steal again and they cut off one of your feet, so that if you do steal something, you can't run away. And if you rape someone, they cut.well, you get the picture. In those countries, once you go to jail, it is up to your family to look after your well being, like providing food, clothes, medical care etc. If your family isn't there, then you simply starve to death.

gammelvind, Jan 10, 7:58am
Just under the ash tray

jason_247, Jan 10, 8:02am
not that im immune to the thought of hanging car theives/vandals/multipla drivers, but keep in mindback in horse days if you lost your livelyhood you would prob die, nowyou just get a winz grant for a new forester

socram, Jan 10, 9:05pm
LOL - previous two posts.

johnf_456, Jan 10, 9:07pm
lol 10, multipla drivers

smac, Jan 10, 9:11pm
I think it's a big assumption that most were hung. On the contrary, most people seem to think they have tiny little ones and are somehow compensating.

h.e, Jan 10, 9:25pm
many years back my flatmate and me caught a young bloke in my flatmates car.roughed him up abit and dragged him into our house.once inside we realised he was only about 15 so called the cops rather than beat the snot out of him.cop turned up said the kid was known to them and said other than take him home there was nothing else he could do.this kid was walking out smirking all staunch like.the flatmate went running up past the cop and smashed this little piece of sh#t,cop just picked the kid up and advised him not to be seen around the areaagain.i thought at the time that was good police work.now days i suppose we would be facing assault and kidnapping charges

bwg11, Jan 10, 9:50pm
You may have noticed and wondered about the lack of fitted alarms in Japanese imports. In Japan you often see unlocked cars, idling, with the air conditioning on in supermarket car parks. They don't get stolen - why - because the Japanese legal system deals to car thieves, instead of the wet bus ticket treatment given here.

trogedon, Jan 10, 10:32pm
Horses weren't insured a century or so ago - cars usually are = for most having their car taken isn't the end of the world to them.

next-to-normal, Jan 10, 11:19pm
one of my ggg was one of the last lot hung in england in the 1820s for stealing a horse,at the age of 24,left behind wife and 4 kids,2 were later transported, one was 15 and drowned in the hobart harbour when the transport ship sunk and they wouldnt let the prisoners off.the good old days were terrible