Who knows about car sound systems in here?

jcs4, Feb 28, 8:45am
my car currently has a pair of 4" speakers in the front, and a pair of round speakers that im guessing are 6.5"s in the rear parcel tray

the 6.5"s are shoddy paper coned ones from the 90's

anyway im wondering, for a system without a sub which is best. 6x9"s or 6.5"s in the parcel shelf!

i have a decent pair of 6x9"s but im not sure about how to fit them. and I have heard that 6.5"s are actually better, but someone else told me that's only if you have a sub.

basically without fitting a sub, am I better off fitting 6x9"s or new 6.5"s!
so any advice!

im_andrew, Feb 28, 8:49am
without getting a sub, go for the 6"x9"s in the parcel tray. Because of their shape they were well suited to lower mids - so it will help fill in the dead (sound) space left under your 4"s

jasongroves, Feb 28, 9:22am
For bass, you are better of with the 6x9s. I'm pretty sure that the surface area is comparable to an 8" woofer.more surface area = better bass.
Head unit will run either speakers fine.a small amp would help of course though.
If you need to buy spacers for the 6x9s to fit, go for MDF, not plastic and make sure everything is tightly sealed (speaker to spacer and spacer to parcel tray).

jcs4, Feb 28, 9:27am
I have a slightly older Pioneer CD headunit, 45w x 4

not sure what the current 6.5s are but they are crap (under 20w rms) and start crackling at anything over 1/3rd of the volume on the headunit

as for the 6x9's I can't remember the exact wattage but at least 90watts rms

stock wiring, and a large boot

jasongroves, Feb 28, 9:29am
Size of the boot doesn't really matter.
6x9s are a free air designed speaker, basically meaning they don't need a specific dimensioned box like a sub does.

jasongroves, Feb 28, 9:32am
Oh and your head units rated output is probably around 20w RMS per channel;)

jcs4, Feb 28, 9:35am
yea I gathered that already. going to need to upgrade it at some point

jasongroves, Feb 28, 9:37am
Better off spending the money on a small amp;)
Unless you are wanting to upgrade to a model with aux inputs, MP3 etc etc.
Still, you wont get much more than 25w RMS out of a head unit.

jcs4, Feb 28, 9:39am
actually aux, usb, mp3 etc would be nice, but I don't have a big budget so im probably going to take your advice and get an amp

I can't be bothered with running a big sub as they seem to flatten battery's rattle the boot and cost a fair bit to setup

jasongroves, Jun 3, 5:56pm
Yeah, you will be able to pick up a suitable amp for under $50 easily.
That Clarion one above is rated at 90w RMS per channel I think.
I don't run a sub either, just have a cheap 4 channel amp running my speakers and works perfectly.