If I was using 91 in a car that needed 96.

alexsmelex18, Mar 7, 3:36am
What would be the result!

I have a 2000 Subaru Legacy, and I've only had it for a month, but it's really playing up badly when I start the car. It starts nicely, but when I pull away from the driveway it almost doesn't accelerate at all. I'll be driving along my street with my foot firmly on the floor, going 1000 revs, and 15km/h, and then it will suddenly kick in and the revs will fly up to 4-5000 and acceleeration increases. This is the case when I have stopped at intersections, it doesn't have any grunt 'off the mark'. Sometimes, particularly on a hill, it takes a long time to kick in, and it's become rather dangerous (as you can imagine in Auckland traffic, there is not often a gap big enough to fit in with such slow acceleration) and I am wondering if I am using the wrong petrol!

It was fine during the test drive(s) and passed an inspection well, but the day after, when I filled up, it started playing up, so maybe it's the petrol! I've had a couple of people tell me it's the petrol, but my mechanic didn't seem to think so.

I know I've asked a few questions on here recently, but you guys always seem to have the answers/suggestions.

So, change petrol! Or any other ideas! Thanks heaps

vr4_legnum, Mar 7, 3:43am
change petrol asap. not meant to run on 91. use only 95/96 or 98.

alexsmelex18, Mar 7, 3:45am
Really! For sure!

Ok, my next dilemma, I filled up yesterday. Any tips on how to siphon out! The hose thing doesn't seem to be working

vr4_legnum, Mar 7, 3:47am
well use that tank of fuel up then refill with 95/96 and see how that goes

alexsmelex18, Mar 7, 3:49am
Do you think it will fix the problem described, or are you just guessing!

directorylist, Mar 7, 3:51am
Its not ment to run on that gas but i doubt it would give you the symptoms you're describing

neo_psy, Mar 7, 3:56am
Is it turbo!

alexsmelex18, Mar 7, 4:01am
Non-turbo. A Subaru Legacy B4 is supposed to be used on 91!

richardmayes, Mar 7, 4:03am
I've never owned a subaru sorry.

But using 91 in a car designed for 96 will generally cause a lack of power, pinking and possibly quite rough running under acceleration.

Those symptoms you describe could be due to the EFI struggling to make sense of the lack of power (that burning the wrong fuel is causing) or it could be there are other problems.

As others have said, get rid of that tank of 91 and then fill up with the correct fuel, see if that fixes the problem. If not, then it will be time to take a trip to the garage.

And just a general comment.
Putting your foot to the floor and hoping for luck, when something is clearly not right, is always a bad idea, almost invariablythis will result in a bigger repair bill for you!

2lo4ho, Mar 7, 4:05am
it will most likely be your knock sensor. start running 96 minimum, it should fix the problem, otherwise replace the sensor. common issue on subarus, if your running 91 and its detecting detonation (knock) it will tell the ecu to cut power

intrade, Mar 7, 4:23am
see if you can get 98 octane the only big problem is if it starts pinking when you take off pinking is a knocknoise caused by fuel ignited to soon damaging your engine over time.

dent, Mar 7, 7:01am
the wrong fuel isnt guna make that big of a difference. Maybe down on power but not to that extreme. Id be checking air flow meter.

im_andrew, Mar 7, 7:04am
Sounds almost like the auto trans kickdown is set too high.

richard198, Mar 7, 7:15am
I agree.
There's been no evidence of rough running etc. that you might get from the other suggestions.

gj0502, Mar 7, 7:47am
reset the ecu to factory by; on a cold engine remove the battery and pump the brakes, leave for 45min then reconnect the battery, then start the car with air con off and don't touch anything! then wait for the engine to warm up to normal temp and drive round the block and your done. Made my b4 a different car to drive.

im_andrew, Mar 7, 9:03am
Im not familiar with the newer subarus setup.they could be all electronic. Could be a stuck solenoid in the trans if thats the case. Does sound like an auto trans issue to me, I would be taking it to someone who knows what they are doing (IE a mechanic) for a look over, rather than continuing driving it, trying out all kinds of fuels and additives and possibly cooking the trans by doing so.

xpressoholic, Mar 7, 9:10am
airflowsensor fault or leak in the intake system check for loose or cracked pipes and hoses between air filter and throttle bodyunlikely to be fuel octane rateing

moosie_21, Mar 7, 9:27am
WTF is with all these references to 96 all the time! We don't have 96 in this country, it's all 91, 95 or 98, jeeeeeez.

jmma, Mar 7, 9:41am

moosie_21, Mar 8, 12:04am
Everytime I go into Shell it's 95.

richms, Mar 8, 1:07am
And its that vpower crap that seems to run worse than any other fuel and go off in record time.

icemans1, Mar 8, 1:15am
best octane is 98, if you don't mind going to bp. do a search on google - there's a list of ALL the gas stations that stock it

toxicgreen., Mar 8, 2:12am
Auto trans might hav a vacume pipe controling it,listen for a slight air leakage noise in engine bay while engine is idleling,with yr take off lack of grunt,you can select auto shifter to 1st gear,control all of gearbox manuely an if all is better you,ll have leaky vacume pipe(downshifting prob.) tri these then you,ll hav more info for this thread. Octane ratings only hav one relevant point,91 octane needs a bit more timing advance compared to 96/98.A factory standard car can be timed to either fuel.Have you heard a diesel motor! they have a little sewing machine clatter rattle about them.on a petrol car if you ever hear that you have to retard timing just a little til you never hear it again.do the above tests .

toxicgreen., Jun 30, 1:52pm
True biker,opps i was wrong in that sentence.the lower part said still said retard if detonation herd , soall good !