What injuries have you had from the workshop?

Page 2 / 2
mrfxit, Mar 7, 8:03am
Mmm hot sparks down .
socks
up the nose
Up sleeves
down backs
Inside goggles
In the ears
Top of the head (no hat)
Between fingers

Pretty much everywhere you DON'T want sparks

Brazing a part clamped in a vise & had a large lump of bronze fall on my sneakers.
Of course didn't know about it for a moment because of the goggles & gas flair but HELL. once it burnt through .

arrithedog, Mar 7, 9:15am
Emptied wallet and strain of the credit card for me.

franc123, Mar 7, 10:10am
Theres a lot of people who simply don't realise how dangerous the motor repair trade can be, even the most careful and sensible workers can be caught out in "freak" situations or with momentary lapses in common sense or concentration. When you consider what we work with, electrics, batteries, high pressure hydraulics, rotating components, air con systems/gases, flammable liquids, exhaust fumes, welding equipment, a wide array of chemicals, hot componentry like exhaust manifolds, just to name a few, its little wonder that injuries and deaths do occur.Its a minefield for the uninitiated.Haven't personally had anything seriously go wrong but have worked alongside others that have, picked up a few cuts and bloodblisters but thats about the worst of it.

trogedon, Mar 7, 4:34pm
I've had some (at times painful or annoying) injuries working on cars but tame by compare with the above. Of which I'm very thankful.

shuddupowh, Mar 7, 8:04pm
Not to do with mechanics, but at my work I have:- ripped my left index finger open twice with the bandsaw (1st time just used plasters but 2nd time it ripped a vein but Dr didnt seem worried and 3 stitches and 2 weeks later it was all good). Have bashed my head a few times, once falling backwards and head landing straight on to front of forklift with all my weight - jumped straight up but head was OK (hard head lol) and a big graise on back. And hit self with grinder & trimming tools heaps aswell. Couple years ago a guy had almost cut his finger completely off with the bandsaw left hand ring finger.off nearly a year and 3 surgeories - he wanted it removed but they wouldnt (was always in pain).

trogedon, Mar 7, 8:05pm
Good thing you didn't name your business with the street name then.

lovemore_mbigi, Mar 7, 8:45pm
6 cylinder Land Rover engine standing on its sump and toppling over onto my leg.Never knew that such an engine was so light to pick up, an exhaust manifold stud was so quick going in or so fast coming out ha!

ml6989, Mar 8, 9:04am
Not in the workshop, but was delivering a vehicle to a customer. Pulled up in driveway, she was mowing lawn using ride on mower and did not see me. 5 acre lifestyle block just out of town. Got out and walked across lawn to to tell her how much of her money I had spent, so far so good. While returning to driveway to get into vehicle that had come to collect me,bloody great golden lab dog jumped out from under tree and latched his teeth on to left rear cheek. Penetrated skin through overalls and caused a few moments of anxiety. Told dog to naff off, belted it and made a run for the last 10 metres. Everyone else thought it was funny, so may as well let you lot have a laugh too! Had to get a jab from GP, he thought it funny too.

cocabowla, Mar 8, 9:27am
mid eighties steam cleaning a motorbike the wand and hose seperated, jumped backwards hoping to avoid it but as i landed copped a blast on my inner foot. boot & work sock took some of the worst but soon had my foot and lower leg in a bucket for an hr or so, next day i could feel the "glow" .

on way back to workshop incident was picking up a broken down motorbike in newmarket, tied down snug on left and went to pull tight on rh side and the other tie down snapped with the bike toppling onto me and pinned me to the side of the ute. managed to push it up off me and got a new tie down on, by the time i got back to work i had 5 very black bruise lines from the engine fins across both knees.

skin1235, Mar 8, 9:07pm
Tale that did the rounds a few years back, in the haydays of LPG convertions and fittings, a long pit along the back of the workshop by the benches, one guy at one end fitting a tank etc to a car, another guy halfway down repairing an exhaust system, the guy fitting the tank had a minor leak undetected, loose flare nut type leak, LPG heavier than air filled the bottom of the pit - until a good hot spark from the repair further down managed to lift the entire row of covers , couple of bruises and ringing ears, very scared customers, and closed the workshop for a few hours
new rules about fitting LPG and repairs to such were developed pretty quickly

sallyjoy, Mar 8, 10:17pm
not mechanic, sparkie. I pushed all the rubbish (papers and cardboard) down in the wheelie bin. Hiding underneith it was a big bit of glass from a broken window. Sliced my hand open and a fair bit of my arm. "Fiddily dee" i said. Was off work for about a month.

gilco2, Mar 9, 1:21am
When I was working at Seabrook Fowlds Hamilton. Mini 850's come in and wanted new speedo cable there and then. Always burnt forearm on exhaust manifold. Man I hated those.

neville48, Mar 9, 8:46am
Dont hold the base of a carby in your hands whilst trying to undo the butterfly screws with a sharp screwdriver because when you finally push harder,the butterfly opens and the screwdriver goes through your hand but.quick as a flash you pull it out and it starts bleeding profusely and you grab a rag to hold on it, thats where the rag with the turpentine on it,on the bench comes in to play, geez that smarts. turps goes in and doesnt stop buzzing, beleive me on that one.

gilco2, Mar 11, 3:57am
yep. forgot that one but yes I did that once straight into an artery

saturn51, Mar 11, 7:05am
Many years ago when I was an apprentice truck mechanic I carried a Bedford five speed box to my bench to work on.We were "real men" and didn`t ask for help to lift anything if we could help it,that`s why my back is stuffed.As I heaved it up onto the steel plate bench top and put it down one of my testicles and a couple of inches of my pride and joy cushioned it`s placement nicely.The pain was most unpleasant and lifting the box off my scrotum whilst on tiptoes was a mission in itself.The resulting bruise and blood blister was a good topic of conversation throughout the dealership for weeks.

robbo36, Mar 11, 8:33am
He he he, I love it Fish. Bet your heart skip a couple of beats though. FAAAAAARK! Did ya check for stripes in ya daks after!

movnon, Mar 11, 9:21am
Good subject to write a book on after 45years!(look at the scars on a cold day, head to feet)