What injuries have you had from the workshop?

Page 1 / 2
robbo36, Mar 6, 11:51pm
Apart from the usual skinned knuckles, bruised elbows, dented shins and cracks to the swede, what other damage/injuries have you done to yourself. Worse one for me was getting left index finger crushed when rear end of HQ ute came off trolley jack while trying to manoeuvre it into corner of workshop. Spilt down end of finger and lost half of the finger nail. That finger can still can be tender to knock, especially in cold weather, even after 22 years and two operations on it.

friendly_prawn, Mar 7, 12:14am
jack failed while I was under the car.
Had a 2 ton chev with no wheels on land on top of me. Squashed me flat as a pancake. boy did that one hurt. Unfortunately, I didnt survive that one.

jason18, Mar 7, 12:30am
hahah

friendly_prawn, Mar 7, 12:32am
Watch it! I'll come and haunt your house. :-)

pollymay, Mar 7, 12:46am
So far the worst has been deep cuts and a piece of metal embedded into my eye. I've gotten real good at picking metal out of my eye though, yesterday a bit rolled around the glasses down my face and dropped under my eyelid still hot.

I said some mean words at that bit of metal and spent 30 minutes picking it out eugh. But I've escaped a lot of times so far so I dunno how long till "the big one"

zooki007, Mar 7, 2:40am
#1 Walked out of pit and cracked my head on the towbar knocking me out, face planted the concrete steps and broke my nose.
#2 Cut back of hand on backing plate, cut through tendons, had to have surgery to reattach tendons and was in a cast for 6 weeks. Still can't form a fist properly with that hand.
#3 Squashed fingers when a gearbox fell on my hand. Dr not able to stitch as the fingers were squashed. Just had them taped up for ages.
#4 Prolapsed disc in spine after twisting the wrong way getting a gearbox out of a campervan.
#5 Got trapped under an old tractor after the loader brace fell off and trapped me to the ground by my arm.
Plus lots more of little things like metal splinters in eyes, broken fingers, and a gashed arm.

ryans, Mar 7, 3:21am
I've been pretty lucky.
I hit my wrist with the angle grinder, but it didn't go deep.
Dropped my Fairmont door on my big toe a few months ago, that hurt.
Miscellaneous 3rd degree burns from my mig welder on my legs, didn't hurt because they burnt through the nerves instantly.

pieman33h, Mar 7, 3:29am
worst one for me was 11 stitches in the palm of my hand, due to holding onto a pair of vice grips while drilling a hole with a drill press - lesson learned, use a proper vice!
also had hot sparks down my boots and the worst, a hot blob of weld rolled down inside my overalls and lodged itself in my belly button - that was sore!

hatchback, Mar 7, 3:30am
Blardy hell, maybe you should get an office job.

mrfxit, Mar 7, 3:32am
Under car on jack stands with JUST enough room to slide under to gas weld an exhaust system
Rolled around & sideways to get a better position & promptly stabbed my leg with the running gas torch

Was a fairly common thing to stab myself with the hot welding end wire in that sort of situation

Pushing a holden body off a trailer / 1 hand on the trailer rail & other hand & shoulder on the body/ far side of the car body slipped on the trailer rail dropping my side on my hand between car body & trailer rail (with the door SILL lip). & at the same time smacking my head on the car body as it moved over.

Pressure slicedacross 4 fingers on an angle straight through leather gloves but didn't cut the gloves.

mrfxit, Mar 7, 3:36am
LOL yea had most of the above but most not as bad.

Plenty of gearbox's/ diff's/ rims/ engine blocks dropped on hands/fingers/ knee's etc / plenty of towbars on heads (climbing out of pits) plus exhaust pipe tips when walking past but thankfully nothing busted badly apart from skin & pride

jezz43, Mar 7, 3:37am
worked in a workshop a few years back, was working on a mitsi diamante thing. was 6 feet up in the air when the hoist gave out. i was pinned in the driveshaft tunnel for 2 hours with several broken ribs, fingers, toes, a broken foot, dislocated shoulder and cracked skull.
turns out the jerk who owned the shop hadnt had a warrant on his hoists for 7 years. he fixed that hoist himself and to this day still doesnt have warrants on them

mrfxit, Mar 7, 3:38am
Getting on a bit more now in the years so my skins starting to show up the scar's a lot more.
Not so willing to loose skin either

1ollie, Mar 7, 3:42am
Never had anything worth puting in here just the usual deep cuts and lowkey crushed hands. But the worst I have ever seen was when I was visiting a mate at his work (diesel mechanic) an one of his workmates was doing somthing with the leaf springs on a truck and we heard a loud bang and some screaming we ran over and the bottle jack had fallen over while the guy had his hand on top of the leaf spring an the truck fell and it loped at least 30mm off 3 of his fingers! not a pretty sight! then we had to carry him to the work ute because he passed out.

1ollie, Mar 7, 4:04am
Hes well versed in jacking off

tool.man, Mar 7, 5:38am
sheesh yer first names not frank is it !

zephyrheaven, Mar 7, 5:48am
mate of mine smashed his front teeth out when a large spanner slipped off a nut, blood everywhere

touch wood Ive been blessed so far.hmm

zooki007, Mar 7, 5:50am
How's your w/shop Zeph!

marcos1, Mar 7, 5:50am
As a dopey apprentice,I was gas welding a piece of exhaust pipe in a vice,for some reason it fell out and landed on the floor.
So of course I picked it up and put it back in the vice.then the pain hit.

gunhand, Mar 7, 6:01am
Back when i was hitting nails and such it took me a few times to get the "dont chisel towards yourself" saying. Also keep face away from claws of hammer when nailing in confined spaces. Panel and paint wasnt to eventfull but useuall assortment of metal splinters in eyes (protected to) and the odd grinding cut. Numours paint an thinners in the eyes as well.
Now out of work time is a whole new story. I never had to introduce myself as I passed through to the A&E waiting room for quite a few years.

twink19, Mar 7, 6:36am
when I was 17, a long time ago, I cut 3 fingers off and sliced my thumb part way through on my left hand, they sewed them all back on

tokyo_rose, Mar 7, 6:39am
I lost most of my hair in the mid 80s working in a country garage that had a large homemade pot belly fire for heating (that the local farmers seemed to use as a meeting place on wet days) The fire was not going to flash & i dropped some kero out of the wash pan in to it & had to go and the find a box of matches as it hadnt ignited, so as a rather silly teenager i looked in it as i dropped the match in it & WOOF. instant hair cut.
Didnt do that again i tell you

marcos1, Mar 7, 7:17am
A guy I worked with did that , and it burnt through his eardrum.
A couple of weeks later, he could block his nose and blow ,and his ear would make a whistling sound.total crack up.

mrfxit, Mar 7, 7:54am
Ever so slightly O/T but

Used to mow contract lawns for a couple of years & if anybody thought that a rock fired at the shins was about as bad as it could get for paiin,. think again

Try a sharp pebble fired off the mower & hitting you exactly dead center between the nostrils.

mrfxit, Mar 7, 7:59am
LOL yea Rob.
An old mate did that to his leg trying to unscrew a slotted screw
Couldn't get enough leverage by holding the bracket in his hand so placed it on his thigh & leaned on the screw driver . . 2" deep hole later. .

Didn't do that again either.