Paying for a car?.

ian86, Jan 22, 5:31am
I'm looking at buying another car around 15k., I've had a good run with my current one ( has lasted me 12 years )., How do people pay for cars these days!. is cash still the way.go to the bank and draw it out!., or bank cheque!.or internet transfer!.how is it done these days., and do you have to go and change the ownerships with the old owner!.

jenny188, Jan 22, 5:40am
Firstly , they are not change of ownership papers, they are change of registered user. Last owner fills in his section and then he sends off or goes to "counter" and submits, and you can do your section and submit or, I think these days it can be done on line. 6 months ago I brought a $15 k car online from a reputable dealer , not even sighting that car. Paid on-line by internet and all went well. Pay anyway you like, it's your money, and seller will take any means of funds. Have heard of some businesses not taking credit cards as fees are related to $ value of transactions in some cases, ie. mated brought an $20 k outboard and visa wanted from seller about 2 1/2 k in transaction charges. Good luck, enjoy.

mugenb20b, Jan 22, 6:52am
So who owns the car when you buy it!

crzyhrse, Jan 22, 7:25am
'jenny188' is correct. Registered ownership is not legal title. You actually have no way of knowing with any degree of certainty who has legal title or whether the person selling it to you even has the right to do so.

jenny188, Jan 22, 8:14pm
Lots of people may own the car that you drive around in. If you have taken a loan to buy it, the finance company or bank owns it until the last cent is payed off. The previous owner may have used it as surety for a personal loan, or it could be taken by the courts for outstanding fines etc. When buying from a "Dealer", when you sign the Window Card, is when they guarantee to cover any outstanding debts on said vehicle and you become the legal owner. Private sales, let the buyer beware.There are Company's you can pay for reports on any money outstanding against that regie number and I think there is a free website somewhere also

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 22, 8:58pm
Or you can just txt the registration to FIND (3463).

Finance companies don't ever own the vehicle. They register a security against. This allows them to take possession of it after following a specific procedure in the case that you default on the loan you used the vehicle as a security against.

mugenb20b, Jan 22, 10:54pm
Thank you for explaining that. It all makes sense now.

stabi360, Jan 22, 11:28pm
when i purchased my harley they didnt want to know about credit cardas the extra % they charge
so i went down to the bank and they wanted 10 dollars for a bank chequeso i said ill just take the cash then
they werent happybut wouldnt waiver the 10 dollar feeso cash it was
went back down to harley shop
and forked out just under 30k

pollymay, Jan 23, 2:59am
The norm these days is to turn up and use a special slide hammer key to start the car. No need to pay the owners when this "master key" works on lots of vehicles owners have carelessly left unattended.