Supercheap auto car ramps

shaun16, Mar 14, 3:43am
anyone got some of these! any good! are they safe! i've got some work to do under my car and not that keen on relying on a jack or two. i would go look at some but my nearest store is about $30 gas away :( http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online-store/products/Stanfred-Single-Car-Ramps-750-kg.aspx!pid=2114#Description

shaun16, Mar 14, 3:44am
i just went to repco to see if they had any. guy said no but i've seen them at supercheap auto. helping the opposition

richms, Mar 14, 3:56am
I have seen a similar pair to that buckle, I wouldnt trust them with me under the car.

daryl14, Mar 14, 4:14am
Buy jack stands. then you can take off your wheels and they take up less room in the garage.

demons, Mar 14, 4:16am
yeah got some few years ago ,not worth the metal there made of .really only good for my ride on lawnmowe.any tyre over 195 will be over the ramp

shaun16, Mar 14, 4:20am
yes i thought about jack stands but are they safe! dont look that safe to me. i dont want the car moving at all

icemans1, Mar 14, 4:24am
axle stands are always recommended rather than relying on a car jack.

most cars these days can't get up the ramps cos the front of the cars are too low

icemans1, Mar 14, 4:35am
i would be more inclined to get these ones from SCA, better to be over the top with the weight than just right

http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online-store/products/Stanfred-Single-Car-Ramp-4WD-1000kg.aspx!pid=4169032#Description

ryans, Mar 14, 5:24am
I've got 4 'Mechanix' brand axle stands from Repco, they had no problem holding my old Fairmont up for a few months while I was working on it.

I've never used ramps, but from what I've heard, it's easy to push them forward when you're trying to drive up them and break something.

flockton55, Mar 14, 6:13am
I got some plastic ones from Hamco, but it looks like they don't do them anymore. The material is very thick and strong. The main reason I liked them was that they were low enough to fit under the VR-4 Legnum front skirt, which was too low for metal ramps.They worked fine for that, and I've used them for the Jag too, with no problems.They have a rubber insert at the bottom of the ramp, so that as soon as any weight goes on, the ramp is locked in place.

hijacka, Mar 14, 6:24am
Yeah im all for axle stands aswell.Ramps are heavy and take up storage aswell. but hey, they could be a great thing to have around the shed if your doing oil changes constantly

richardmayes, Mar 14, 6:29am
Ramps like that can be really handy. My dad has a pair but he's bolted on some long lengths of 10"x2" timber to make the ramps easier to drive up.

elect70, Mar 15, 1:48am
Last place I lived at I wanted to build a garage pit but council said no . Said they are dangerous asexhaust fumes could causeasphixiation . What crap . all garages had them until 80s.Testing stations have themso WTF

saxman99, Mar 15, 2:31am
The trick is not to tell them.

shaun16, Mar 15, 2:42am
i got some axle stands and a jack in a pack together. used the axle stands holding the car up and a jack also under each side just to be safe. worked good.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 15, 2:54am
BTW, a good quality trolly jack and stands like the above are a fantastic investment. I use mine all the time and jobs that used to suck are just suck a pleasure now. I looked around at a lot of jacks but settled on the one BNT still stock which is around $200 + GST when on sale.
Its a great wee unit for serious home use.

dimacka, Mar 15, 3:38am
Got given a pair of stands a while back, they get LOTS of use.
You wont regret getting them, also the trolley jack - good investment.

quickstitch, Mar 15, 3:44am
use axle stands, they leave more room for sliding in and out on a creeper, they store easy and are cheaper.

bjdw, Jul 19, 9:43pm
I tried to drive up some on a gravel drive way and one of them came flying out when I was half way up. If anyone had been standing in front of it they would have had broken legs. Of course I had ignored the warning label on the ramps saying to only use them on concrete!