Petroleum economy

v8_mopar, Mar 16, 3:18am
Would it not be great if NZ became the next big oil pumping economy.

Within 100 years we could build the best transport systems, hospitals, buildings etc and not have to borrow to achieve it. Taxes would be low and employment high.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/4769482/Drills-hit-oil-and-gas-in-Taranaki

But knowing our government they would sell the pumping rights to some over seas company who would take the cream off shore!

fordboycraig, Mar 16, 3:24am
Yup, we should vote ourselves a free tank of gas for every kiwi citizen every week. For every litre sold overseas a litre must be donated to kiwi citizens

thejazzpianoma, Mar 16, 6:24am
We should also be concentrating on Gold and other precious metal production at the moment with prices as they are. Its time for Doc and the greenies to get real, there is no long term disfigurement or ecological damage from modern mining.
Its a chance to really turn the country around.

unclejake, Mar 16, 6:30am
It would be awesome. right up until the USA invaded.

(jks)

thejazzpianoma, Mar 16, 6:31am
LOL, fabulous call!

aragorn2003, Mar 16, 6:37am
I was just about to write something along those lines until i read your post properly lol . Its only a good idea if the $$ stayed in NZ but your right it wouldnt.

jcwholesale, Mar 16, 6:49am
jazz we definitely disagree on cars, but your mining philosophy is sound and actually concurs with mine. LOL.

Whats happening, am I getting soft, I actually agreed with biker on something as well.

Maybe I need a sleep or something, or is it the Pinot!

smac, Mar 16, 6:52am
Tourism in NZ is worth about $19bill a year to us, plus the value our 'image' adds to other trade such as dairy and meat.

NZIER says if we hack up the conservation land we might generate an extra $2.3bill.

You really think one is worth risking the other!

All seriousness aside, that was pretty damn funny unclejake!

ryanm2, Mar 16, 6:53am
The Norweigans have done it right with their oil in the North Sea. Every penny has been going into a pension fund, now up to about $700 billion USD.

pollymay, Mar 16, 7:51am
We have a soft image overseas. Go to fiji or places like that and they will ask you "Is it true if you live in New Zerlund tat you get free money to live thar!" They come over and start families then sit on the benefit and we loose a lot to that. A bunch of them rent my grandfathers flats and they are a pain in the ass to deal with, they even got robbed once and refused to call the cops cause their were illegals staying there so they rang us at 3am instead.

Anyway besides that rant we have huge resources we SHOULD be using, our economy is tanking with everything that has been happening and we can do a lot better without massive harm to anything. Course if their is money involved the maoris will lay claim and "want it back" -_-

v8_mopar, Mar 16, 4:44pm
And cigarette butts on the ground or being biffed from cars - pet hate of mine!

321mat, Mar 17, 12:05am
Sounds wonderful.

BUT.
Two very real problems I can see:

1.Roger Douglas and his mates at the Business Round Table would apply pressure like you've never seen to the government and they WILL sell out to overseas companies - look what happened to Challenge, if you want proof.
and
2.The maoris will claim god-only-knows-how-much money for settling some bogus Treaty grievence and to calm any taniwha who live (or maybe only just recently moved) in the area.

It would be wonderful IF everyone was focussed on developing this for the benefit of ALL Kiwis, but sadly, we all know they're not.

elect70, Mar 17, 2:43am
yeah well first got to buy the gear ,drilling equipment aint cheap , then hireexperts , etc etcStick to your knitting .Thats why its done in partership with an oil company . BUt like the UK ,government sell /mortgage the rightsmany times over& wind up withFAWhy isnt UK filthy rich with all that north sea oil !

smac, Jul 28, 11:00am
lol.what the hell has your grandfathers illegal immigrant tenants got to do with.anything!!