Mechanical Help with a 1995 Ford Fairmont V8!

makinends, Jun 28, 12:28am
The car won't start.We have charged the battery overnight and tried starting it again and it won't start.It is turning over slightly slower than usual but seems to not be firing.What other things should we check or look at assuming that the battery is not the problem!Thanks heaps if anyone can help:0)

andrea_w, Jun 28, 12:41am
Spark plugs. have you checked them!

makinends, Jun 28, 12:43am
Yip, we put brand new ones in a few months ago.Thanks though:0)

40wav, Jun 28, 12:52am
Is it getting fuel!

makinends, Jun 28, 2:23am
Assuming yes as when we have been trying to start it you can smell the fuel.

berg, Jun 28, 2:40am
Battery could be failing under load. Test battery voltage while cranking. Battery might be stuffed even though it took a charge

makinends, Jun 28, 3:07am
Thanks berg, how do you test the voltage while cranking it!The gauge only goes up to about 12 and dips down to around 10 when you try and start it.Look forward to your reply!

berg, Jun 28, 3:16am
Need to put a volt meter on the battery terminal and crank the engine. Battery voltage should not drop below 9v while cranking. Even then 9v is the lower end of what you should have while cranking, 9.5-10v is normal. Check your battery contacts as well. They should be clean and tight. I have never really trusted volt gauges on dashes due to needle variances.
Other thing to try is jump starting off a good battery.

makinends, Jun 28, 3:25am
We did try jumpstarting off a battery on a tractor.Will see if we can get our hands on a volt meter and see how we go from that.Thanks heaps for your help there.

makinends, Jun 28, 6:14am
Cheers andy, we have new spark plugs and new leads on it.Have put in half tank of fuel to make sure it had enough.Will go with the battery boltage check and check that first.

falconhell2002, Jun 28, 6:25am
coil

tonyrockyhorror, Jun 28, 7:04am
You're going to be there for weeks with an attitude like that. Test, don't guess.

makinends, Jun 28, 7:30am
Sweet thanks, will look into that next.Cheers.

makinends, Jun 28, 7:32am
What are you going on about Jafa, I don't have a bad attitude was relaying the questions to my husband so I was assuming that yes it was getting fuel, was not a bad attitude was just giving my opinion, so thanks for no help at all will take the advice from other's that obviously know what they are talking about.

unbeatabull, Jun 28, 7:43am
Check the earth strap on these, quite common to get bad contact over the strap that goes from chassis to block and from battery to chassis. Otherwise would look at battery - its not a Calcium battery per chance is it!

unbeatabull, Jun 28, 8:04am
If its flooded due to no-go it will smell of petrol too .

robotix1970, Jun 28, 8:56am
go straight for the coil man has my uncle has had the identical problem with his futura winding over and not firing also check the fuel pump in your tank as it may be on the way out as-in not the pump may be pushing the fuel through at a really low pressure instead of the normal high pressure.

1fordluva, Jun 28, 11:10am
If you can smell fuel,its getting it but no spark.
Also do a diagnostic for ecu,google is your friend plenty of ford forums for that one.
coil or coil pack,cam sensor if the 8 runs one,I know the six cylnder does,also is it getting pulse from cam or 36/1 trigger,crank sensor!
Common failure for the 8 and the 6.
http://lmgtfy.com/!q=ef+v8+no+spark

makinends, Jun 29, 8:35am
Thanks Guys for all your help.Much appreciated.

tonyrockyhorror, Jun 29, 9:38am
Might pay for you to learn to read, slack jawed yokel. I was referring to the attitude whereby you assume and guess instead of attempting to obtain some FACTS. But thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention that you do, in fact, have a bad attitude too.

maz61, Aug 11, 10:41pm
lmao at some of the posts in this thread LOL, well my guess would be the battery lol