Help on wiring up XF fairmont to a 302 winsdor

fordman62, Jan 3, 6:00am
no and got no hair left lol

elect70, Jan 4, 3:06am
Take a wire direct frombattery to coil & try it ,points gap is.013 -.018 incoil resistancefiring orderbosch primary 1.4-1.54 ohmssecondary 8000-8800 ohmsfiring order 13726548front to rearr bank1234 l bank 5678. this fromfairlane zf manuali still have after I did 302 cinto xd panel van . might help. Get#1cylinder on TDCcompression stroke & checkrotor pointing to#!spark .

quickstitch, Jan 4, 4:24am
windsor not same firing order as cleveland. there are two firing orders for windsor, depending on which cam it has

fordman62, Dec 3, 8:13am
i have spark in coil and pointsbut wont kick into life
any help would be great

rojill, Dec 3, 8:15am
Plugs sparking and in right order !

Timing right !

fordman62, Dec 3, 8:19am
yeap i have dropped a good runner in it but the wiring in the xf is all digital so there must be a wire that powers everything i just not sure where it is

almosttherenow, Dec 3, 8:49am
does it have fuel at the carb/injection!

ljack, Dec 3, 10:16am
*If you have spark at coil/ points, then you should have spark at plugs when cranking, unless you have fault in dizzy cap or HT leads.

*Done a XF to 302c myself, so as for the power wire as long as the wire going into the coil + is 12v when key is at the ACC and crank position and 0v in off position then that will work fine.

*Check voltage to Coil + when cranking to ensure the coil is still getting the volts it needs to create the spark, if volts to the coil is too low the coil wont produce a spark powerful enough to jump the spark plug gap. But will show a good spark at the points when check due to no battery load when cranking

*If all good and strong spark at the plugs whilst cranking, check timing, ensure you have correct rotation direction of the dizzy to the engine,

* if it has spark and wrong timing it may backfire or splutter, indicatingspark, if no backfiring or spluttering, might pay to check fuel.

fordman62, Dec 3, 7:38pm
it had a rattrap starter in it and am still got same coil do i need new one the motor came from running car just carnt find the right wires to start it

jash3, Dec 3, 10:57pm
So is the motor turning over!

fordman62, Dec 4, 5:49am
yes the motor is turning over it just wont start

fordcrzy, Dec 4, 5:51am
silly question but was the XF injected or carb!

fordman62, Dec 4, 7:57am
Carb

fordcrzy, Dec 4, 8:10am
some XFs had an electronic igntion module on them and only energised the igntion relay when the dizzy was ok.there may be a wire that goes to the igniton main relay that needs to be energised.

fordman62, Dec 4, 8:11am
where would i find that wire

fordcrzy, Dec 4, 8:17am
the electronic modules were in the passengers footwell just in front of the door.if it was fitted with electronic ignition then thats where the module is.as for the exact wire.well i have no idea. but a haynes manual has the diags.I had a 86 sportpac wagon that was carb/electronic ignition that i bought in aussie.

fordcrzy, Dec 4, 8:18am
where are you feeding the coil from! are you using the original power wire from the 6cyl coil! are you getting 12 to it!

fordman62, Dec 5, 4:55am
right ive found the module . and i do have a manual for it . it does have a 6 cyl coil fittedthe only way im getting the car to turn over is a pig tail wire from the ignition to the starter motor .at this stage i do have spark only in the coil and points

so much for just a qick weekend of changing it from the 6cyl to the V8 lol

fordcrzy, Dec 5, 7:17am
yes thats sounds right.
you need to find a relay thats named "main igniton relay" or similar and see if that turning on when you turn the key.my bet it isnt. it will be a simple case of finding the wire from the module to the relay, and then running a new wire from the ignition switch to the relay OR you could find the switched power wire to the module and simply cutting the in/out wires at the module and joining them so you get 12v to the relay when the key is turned.

fordcrzy, Dec 5, 7:24am
oh dont be surprised if the rev counter doesnt work as i think the counter is pulsed from the module and not the dizzy.

fordcrzy, Dec 5, 8:23am
i may have put you wrong re: the relay.its possible that there isnt one in the xf's and the module is fed from the ignition switch direct.just in case your hunting for it.:)

fordman62, Dec 5, 8:33am
cheers for that fordcrzy that my mission after work 2moro so will let ya know how i get on cheers

fordcrzy, Dec 12, 7:52am
how did you get on! sorted it!