Station Wagons, low kms, transmissions, price!

Page 1 / 3
nzclover, Apr 24, 8:39pm
I'm going to be looking for a new car in the near future so am doing some research now. I'm wanting a station wagon, although would possibly consider a SUV if it wasn't a gas guzzler.

My budget will stretch to around $15k. I'm thinking the lower the kms the better as I'm over forking out money to mechanics .for a while anyway. From what I've seen, these are the nicest looking cars under 100,000km for the price.

Nissan Primera
Honda Accord
Mazda Atenza

I know there are lots of Toyotas out there, but they look pretty basic and a lot are 1500cc and I want a bit more grunt than that. I've heard people talking about CVTs and how they don't like thesewhy! Is that just the Nissans! All advice appreciated.

phillip.weston, Apr 24, 8:53pm
the Primera CVTs tend to give trouble, also for the same year/kms the Primera is often priced half the price of the Atenza/Mazda 6 or Honda Accord. For me it would be a tough choice between the Accord and the Mazda 6 if you were spending the full $15k. There is the Toyota Avensis which is the same size as the Accord and Mazda 6 however for the same price you tend to get something older with higher kms, and the Avensis is neither a nice car to ride in or even to particularly look at.

I think if you're worried about mechanics I would look at getting a mechanical warranty, you just don't know what could go wrong with any car 2-3 years down the line, where it would be well and truly out of the consumer's gaurantees act cover if you had purchased from a dealer.

intrade, Apr 24, 8:57pm
give some more info what for your going to use the vehicle. like offroadingtowing trailer, pulling down trees! what is it to be sued for!
basic rules is the more electronic you have the more chance something will stop the car and cost big money to repair when it gets older.

nzclover, Apr 24, 9:05pm
Nice car! Little out of my price range at the moment, but perhaps I need to wait a bit longer and save more! I'm currently on maternity leave, returning to work end of May, so can't buy til then. Will be using it around town, commuting to work, carrying baby and all the stuff around, and also using for longer trips on the road as we go away a lot right up North.

r15, Apr 24, 9:06pm
altezza gita.$10-15k depending on kms / age / spec you like.
the boot is much bigger than it looks from the outside

shelleigh, Apr 25, 5:28am
nzclover I'm looking for a similar vehicle and was looking at buying a Ford Escape 3L V6 but after very helpful advice from people on here, I'm now considering a Ford Mondeo station wagon or even a Volkswagen Golf station wagon.

_peas, Apr 25, 5:43am
Escape are reported to be very thirsty pieces of work and depending on the year of your mondeo that is being considered avoid like the plague automatics.There is a local expert on VW to give you the sales pitch on the Golf.

OP. Mazda6 is a very nice car.Cousin and wife has one and has just had first child too.plenty of space and plenty of grunt.The 2.0l was down on power quite a lot on the 2.3 (which he got) in his opinion

shelleigh, Apr 25, 5:49am
Peas I'm looking at 2007 models onwards of both wagons. I'd like tiptronic so I could have the cruisiness of an automatic around town AND the grunt of a manual on the open road. I'm not a speed hog but like acceleration especially when passing.
It's because of what I've read of the local expert's advice (and the fact other posters say he knows what he's talking about) that I'm considering a Golf :)

ladeda, Apr 25, 6:00am
Bought a Ford Falcon BA '03 120,000km for $10k, After 2mths the transmission blew costing $4k. Apparently it's common for that model.

'91 Commodore VP, 300,000km on the clock still going strong except the plastic bits have all fallen off and the roof lining saggy.

ladeda, Apr 25, 6:01am
Also own a Toyota Corona '91 with 360,000km on the clock. Never had a problem with it.

So we own three stationwagons. Two tow cars and one work vehicle.

vtecintegra, Apr 25, 6:02am
It doesn't work like that - a tiptronic is just a manual selector on a normal automatic gearbox, nothing more.

A DSG (which is what a newer Golf will have) is different, essentially an automated manual gearbox

crzyhrse, Apr 25, 6:04am
As a bonus, those factors converge over time.

shelleigh, Apr 25, 6:08am
Thanks for that Vtecintegra - I need to do some more "homework". Are tiptronics more economical in 2007 and onwards models than straight automatics!

shelleigh, Apr 25, 6:17am
nzclover put wagon in the search box and you will find very helpful advice from several posters in recent threads. What I like about the Golfs is they are cheaper yet more economical than the Mondeos. They also have a much nicer dash and I prefer the boxy shape.

ladeda, Apr 25, 6:27am
Tiptronic - great in theory. I used 3rd gear up a hill, but slowed down for cattle stop and forgot I was in tiptronic and a while later realised I was in 1st gear. It will gear down when needed, but not up.

Edit: I much prefer 1,2,D as you KNOW that you are in 2nd gear.

shelleigh, Apr 25, 6:31am
That's a good point Ladeda especially when I didn't realise they didn't gear up. Am looking forward to taking some wagons for a test drive in Dunedin - be good to check out the torque on those hills.

ladeda, Apr 25, 6:37am
Auto will gear up (and down) and seems to gear change perfectly even when towing so no need to use the Tiptronic option.

jason18, Apr 25, 6:52am
Primera seem good value as you get alot for your money inside gadget wise, room etc. Again make sure cvt is well serviced as stated above can give you trouble. Seem to be alot cheaper than the mazda wagons. Not good to tow with tho in the nissan.

nzclover, Apr 25, 7:48am
too old and too high kms

nzclover, Apr 25, 7:53am
I'mterrified of Volkswagons as I've owned one before and it was horrendously expensive to fix. Not sure if that's still the same these days as I'm hardly an expert!I've read lots of bad reviews about Ford Mondeos so not too keen on them.I've owned a Mazda before and loved it. i'll still go check out those threads and see if I don't change my mind :)

nzclover, Apr 25, 7:55am
Think I'm heading away from the cvt, too many people say "watch out for".well I don't want to watch out for anything for a while, especially a broken cvt (whatever that is haha)

ryanm2, Apr 25, 8:09am
have you considered a VW passat! im leaning towards one in the near future.

crzyhrse, Apr 25, 8:14am
That's a nice car. And I don't even like eurotrash.

nzclover, Apr 25, 8:14am
why are you leaning towards one! How expensive are parts for them! What's their fuel economy like!

vtecintegra, Apr 25, 8:21am
That actually isn't true of all setups at all.

My non-tiptronic Nissan for instance will choose between 1 and 2 if you leave the lever in 2, exactly the same behaviour as my newer 'tiptronic' one