Tiptronic. Why with tiptronic transmissions do you move the lever back to change up well in our falcon you do when all the ag in

paul861, Jun 10, 8:47pm
why with tiptronic transmissions do you move the lever back to change up! (well in our falcon you do) when all the ag/ industrial power shift transmissions i've driven you move a lever forward to change up and move it back to change down

smac, Jun 10, 8:50pm
Wrong question. Question should be:

why withag/ industrial power shift transmissions do you move the lever up to change up!when all the tiptronic transmissions i've driven you move a lever back to change up and move it forward to change down.

paul861, Jun 10, 8:50pm
and from memory the old B&M etc shifters you moved the lever forward to change up. tiptronic seems backwards

freedomaira320, Jun 10, 9:59pm
Moving a lever back to change gears upward is much more intuitive. It resembles a manual change from 1st to 2nd, which would be everyone's first experience of changing gears. Even bicycle gears go that way. Industrial power shifts don't come from a driving heritage, so they just do them their own way. I think if they were able to go back to the drawing board, they'd go the same way as cars too.

anr, Jun 11, 1:43am
Hmm, my audi is up for up down for down. As was my previous caldina GTT and my Subaru B4. Though i'm pretty sure Mazda is the other way round. Seems way more logical up for up, down for down.

kyokei, Jun 11, 1:46am
Strange, I noticed that on a friend's Lancer also. In my old FTO, Prelude and B4 up was up and down was down.

esprit, Jun 11, 2:03am
The reason it's usually back for up and forward for down is because when you're driving fast, you're working with the acceleration of the car, not against it.

Imagine you're on a racetrack, braking very hard into a corner and want to change down. It's easier in that situation to push a lever forwards against spring pressure with G-Force assisting you than it would be to pull a lever back against spring pressure and G-force.

woody1946, Jun 11, 2:26am
Why not just make a 'H' pattern tiptronic and be done with it

monaro17, Jun 11, 2:28am
I have heard of such a thing- it's called something like a clutchless transmission. Standard H pattern. You change gears like in a manual just without the use of a clutch

tantric5, Jun 11, 2:58am
my 330 motorsport you move the lever back to change down.

my bosses 325 coupe of the same vintage you move it forward to change down