Wagons - Mondeo and VW Golf Owners :)

shelleigh, Apr 25, 10:22am
After really wanting a Ford Escape 3L V6 then reading helpful and much appreciated advice on here, I have decided I would be better getting a wagon - comfort, economy, safety and easier to manuvoure being the main reasons.
My vehicle will be mostly used for around town - about 50km a week. However I will also be taking it to ski fields and lakes (kayaking).
So I would really appreciate advice from people who have or have had either of these wagons. And how did you find them on the snow!
Thank you :)

thejazzpianoma, Apr 25, 11:08am
What price range are we looking at shelleigh!
We need to nail down which model you are looking at.

shelleigh, Apr 25, 11:25am
Around $15 000 and I'm looking at 2007 onwards.

shelleigh, Apr 25, 12:01pm
I prefer the look of the Golf especially the interior. What model would you recommend for what I would use it for! Am hoping to test drive some in Dunedin later in the week.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 25, 12:11pm
Hi again,
It gets a bit tricky in your price range for a Golf Wagon. The problem is that the really good Golf is the MK5 shape one. Unfortunately VW decided not to make a MK5 Golf Wagon (although you can get the Touran) but they did keep making the MK4 wagon along side the Mk5 Golf for a while.

The MK4 is a very nice car still but the non GTI versions sort of have a lack of nice grunty motors. There is one advantage to the likes of the 2.0 often found in the wagons though being that because it is the last of quite an old design it is super cheap and easy to work on. But realistically the more sophisticated and powerful engines are a lot better.

You may find the 1.8 twin cam engine is available in some but without a turbo while its better its no rocket ship.

Anyhow, have a drive. You may find it is grunty enough for your purposes in which case go for gold. If not though you may be better to go for the Passat which comes with a mutch better range of engines (1.8T, 2.3 5 Cylender and 2.8 6 Cylender)

Also the Passat can be had in 4WD if you prefer that for the ski fields etc.

I think realistically you are being a bit optomistic in the year for your price range. Sure you can buy stuff that age for that money but not necessarily good stuff.

Also, have a look at the Audi A4's and A6's, Those are Passats with a different body shell. The A4 might suit as it gives you the smaller wagon but with the better engines.

shelleigh, Apr 25, 12:27pm
The Mk 4 wagon would be fine especially when it would be driven mostly around town. My 1.6L Corolla is peppy enough for me passing so I'm sure the Mk 4 would be too.
Not being 4 WD doesn't bother me as I don't mind fitting chains.
I'd be happy to pay up to $20 000 for a well maintained and serviced vehicle.
Will have a look at the Audis :)

thejazzpianoma, Apr 25, 12:31pm
That could work out well then. Just don't pay too much for a MK4 Golf wagon as depreciation may be high given they are the older model. You will find that depreciation will be worse of course if you are wanting to spend up around 20K so just be wary of that.

If you were going to pay a bit more the money may be better spent on an Audi as the extra isn't really going to get you much further with the VW due to the wagon not being produced in the MK5.

It will be interesting to hear how you find them!

shelleigh, Apr 25, 12:38pm
I prefer the look inside and out of the Golfs. And the price appeals more too :)
I've had my Corolla 12 years and would want to keep my next vehicle for about the same. So the Mk 4 Golf 2L may be the one for me.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 25, 12:43pm
Sounds good. You should be able to get a real cracker MK4 Golf wagon for around 12K. Don't worry too much about the exact year beyond about 2002, better to buy on condition, spec, km's etc as they are the same car.
The very low cost maintenance will likely suit you well considering what you have come from.

shelleigh, Apr 25, 1:00pm
The Passat would be great if I wanted a bigger vehicle and a 4WD. But I've decided to stick with a wagon and really like the look and sound of the Golfs.
A turbo would be more grunt than I need though especially when most of my driving is around town.
Thank you for the great advice. Am off to stack some zzzzz's now :)

thejazzpianoma, Apr 25, 1:04pm
Sleep well!

shelleigh, Apr 30, 12:08am
Well went to a couple of salesyards in Dunedin yesterday. One sells VW's, Fords and several other makes. The salesman told me I'd be better sticking with a later model Corolla wagon or similar instead of a VW which suprised me when they sell the VW's.
Looked at a Ford Focus wagon and was suprised the boot space was similar to my Corolla so would be happy with one of them instead of a Mondeo. Would look at a 2008 2.0L tiptronic wagon - what is people's opinions of these vehicles please!

shelleigh, Apr 30, 12:32am
Also I found the Mondeo too low to sit in - I'm wanting a wagon where I sit higher like in a Suzuki Swift hatch.

audi_s_ate, Apr 30, 1:19am
+1 the focus. It will arguably be a lot more reliable than a mk4 golf, as well as being nicer to drive.

vtecintegra, Apr 30, 3:25am
I've never noticed much difference between the seating height in a Mondeo and Focus (both being lower than a small car like a Swift or even Fiesta).

Anyway the Focus is a decent car but the auto gearbox lets it down - I'd go for a manual instead.

mrsdoobercoons, Apr 30, 3:50am
We've got a 2002 Golf wagon (Mk IV) and love it.The2.0 l motor is not the most powerful around but is more than adequate, unless you want to collect demerit points and tickets.They only seem to be this motor and the 4 speed auto.The whole package works very well and feels very solid, like a much bigger car.

It does about 8l/100km and parts costs are not too bad, but we do our own services.We got it 4 years ago when there weren't many around, and paid quite a bit more for it than you would now, but it seemed good value then, and they look amazing value now.

We went for the Golf, rather thana Corolla or Focus because it was better designed and finished (I'll get flamed here, but Jazz knows what I mean).The other small wagons available here are aimed more as entry level commercials, the Golf gave a wagon with a higher refinement and comfort level.It also felt a lot stronger and safer.

If you can get hold of one, take it for a good drive and see how you like it.

shelleigh, Dec 27, 5:10pm
Audi why do you say the Focus will be more reliable and nicer to drive! I'm just curious to know peoples' reasons for prefering a Focus. A lot of people are quick to diss VW's on here even though they haven't owned one and I wonder how much is the perception that VW's are high maintainance.
Vtecintegra I thought the Focus would be similar height wise as the Mondeo. I'm really keen to get a tiptronic model though when most of my driving is around town.
Mrsdoobercoons it's great to hear from someone who owns a Mk4 Golf wagon :) I will definitely be taking both Focus and Golf wagons for a test drive. From what I've learnt so far they are similar economy wise but the tiptronic Mk4 Golf engine is peppier.