Motorcycle parking

fryan1962, Jun 22, 11:01am
Are motorcycles allowed to park on footpath as long as they do not impede pedestrian traffic!.Like other countries around the world!

johnf_456, Jun 22, 11:14am
Council around here often tickets them, but more a council issue over a police one.

terckon, Jun 22, 11:16am
Mmmmmm, what is the differance from parking a motorbike on the footpath or parking a car! They are both vehicles registered to be used on the road and require to be parked accordingly. If the police want to be correct, then they could ticket you but they normally have better things to do than issue tickets for issues like that. Your local council may think differently tho.

fryan1962, Jun 22, 5:56pm
the difference is a motorbike takes up way less room on a footpath than a car, which then leaves a parking space clear for a car to use

klrider, Jun 22, 7:27pm
depends if the local offence is parking on the footpath, or blocking it. Wellington has had this issue for many years.

gusthe1, Jun 22, 8:20pm
In Wgtn parking a m/cycle on the footpath is ticketable. Up to 2 m/cycles can park in a normal car space but must feed the meter and comply with time restrictions. If the meter runs out both bikes get ticketed. Its a ByLaw thing specific to each Council.

jono450, Jun 22, 8:28pm
I park mine on the footpath all the time on the main st (hamilton) , havent hade any problems yet . just last week had a parking warden walk past and complament on my ride and carry on walking. i guess it up to the attitude of the warden at the time.

desmodave, Jun 22, 8:37pm
You must ride a good looking italian bike.I once had a cop comment, man thats a sexy looking bike but i have to give you this ticket anyway.Bitch.but a very good looking 1.

jono450, Jun 22, 8:41pm
hahaha na m8 just a harley,i got pulled up in huntly and the cop told me never to have kids because i will have to sell my ride like he had to, had a good chat with him then off he went . i was doin 130 in a 100 and was on my restricted and he said no worrries m8 shes all good.

jgig23, Jun 22, 8:57pm
In Christchurch when we had a city to park in, they ignored scooters on the pavement but motorbikes were abit cheeky. It was free parking in designated park spots but they were hard to find.

dr.doolittle, Jun 22, 9:14pm
Thats how it should be in any city to promote a more "European/cosmopolitan&qu-
ot; atmosphere (for want of a better term).

dr.doolittle, Jun 22, 9:16pm
I dont know what the .&qu-
ot; .bit is in my above post. I cant edit it out for some reason.

flybye_in_a_rx7, Jun 23, 1:54am
car drivers get angry when you take up a whole park for 1 bike. but then pedestrians get angry when you park on footpath. i dont see a problem with parking on footpath as long as its a wide path and out the way.
and by law you cant, but i guess thats up to the parking warden

i-n-horz, Jun 23, 5:03am
Sweet as.it's always good when the coppers see it your way now & then.there are good ones sadly their the minority.

i-n-horz, Jun 23, 5:10am
100th anniversary for HD close to 2000 bikes or something like that in Wlngtn and for the 3 days bikes could park where ever they liked reserves,parks,footpaths as long as they did not impede foot traffic,driveways,loading zones etc.it was great, traffic flowed better than ever and folk enjoyed eyeball'n the bikes.

jono450, Jun 23, 5:46am
yeh m8 1out of a 100 was my lucky day. havent had much trouble up here with coppers they seem to look the other way these days,

m16d, Jun 23, 6:42am
Noticed in Perth that bikes park on the footpath.and they also have a $1200 fine for parking in disabled parks without correct sticker.

Some NZ towns have MB only parks. Taupo is one.Need more.

i-n-horz, Jun 23, 8:49am
Mot (Motueka) has a park for bikes,nowhere near enough though but at least the thought is there and hopefully one day those that run this town will have a spike in intelligence and reward us with more bike parks.

fryan1962, Jun 23, 9:35am
In Melbourne vic any motorbike or scooter can park on footpath.as long as you dont block footpath.it makes sense to free up car spaces

kevin_the_kiwi, Jun 23, 9:41am
Sorry mate, we don't make sense here, we spend dollars.

klrider, Jun 23, 7:48pm
really!I thought for some reason bikes were no allowed to park in a car space, hence the free bike parking.Interesting to know that.

gusthe1, Jun 23, 8:04pm

fryan1962, Jul 21, 11:42pm
From the transport dept
A motorcycle parking on the footpath is illegal and an offence against the Road User rule 6.14 as it creates a safety issue in relation to pedestrians.Auckland Transport will not tolerate motorcycles parking on a footpath when parking is provided on the road.
wow safety issue in nz but not in Australia

Auckland Transport offers free parking for motorcycles in all of its car park buildings. For on street parking, please find locations in the table below.