Would a car fail a WOF if

kelzzz, Jun 24, 6:49am
the alternator and gearbox needed fixing!

mugenb20b, Jun 24, 6:54am
Alternator yes (assuming it's not charging, your lights will be too dim etc.), gearbox, depends how bad it is. If the vehicle can't be driven/operated in a safe manner due to a faulty gearbox then yes it should fail.

russ6, Jun 24, 6:54am
You could push it to the inspection place I suppose!

jsbike, Jun 24, 6:55am
if the lights are bright enough and all elec work, yes. I passed wof with no reverse a while ago.

phillip.weston, Jun 24, 10:47pm
I got failed for an auto trans which wouldn't go into reverse once.

budgel, Jun 24, 10:58pm
Once!that is very punctilious of them.

tigra, Jun 24, 11:07pm
How would an inspector decide whether it was dangerous to drive a vehicle with a faulty gearbox.!

mugenb20b, Jun 25, 12:09am
It's up to him to make a decision based on common sense. For example, I wouldn't pass a vehicle if the gear lever pops out of gear or having no reverse, or a badly slipping transmission. If the vehicle can't be operated as it was designed to = fail.

mugenb20b, Jun 25, 6:03am
I know, I know.it's not a requirement to have reverse. But, the less $hitters (cars, not bikes) on the road, the better. I haven't actually had a car with no reverse yet. I don't know.someone could get pinned by a car against the wall, and you can't select reverse to back up.

mugenb20b, Jun 25, 6:04am
Don't know, does it say a car needs forward gears!

jsbike, Jun 25, 6:23am
tell me what little box you would put a cross in to fail it with no reverse.

Went through this with a workshop, they got all their books out, had to come back the next day after the boss of the workshop had rung round where ever he wanted to get info from. I got my WOF.

bjdw, Jul 24, 7:14pm
What if your car rolls down a hill and pins someonee against a wall and the only way to free them is to drive the car backwards!