Reliable family car

1grasshopper, Jun 18, 10:43pm
We are looking for a new family car - at the moment we have one child fulltime and one every 2nd weekend, however we plan on having another in the near future.We like the look of a few cars and wanted to know any good or bad points about any of them
-2001 Toyota Camry Touring
-2000 Holden Commodore
-2002-2006 Maza Atenza 23S (only would get manual one)
or DPs choice
-Mitsi Grandis (later model one that looks like a car)

Or if there are any others worth considering (budget preferably around 10K but could go up to 15 for a low km model)

by_hdt, Jun 18, 11:27pm
the big aussies are outstanding value at the moment as lead-foots and people with no idea write them off as gas guzzlers, when they really arent. I picked up a pristine 97 Holden Calais with all the options (including the extremely potent supercharged engine) for $6500, have since done 3000km of trouble free motoring in supreme comfort and the fuel consumption (avg 9.8L/100Km) is better than most automatic mid-sizers I have had the misfortune of driving.

All cars you have mentioned above (except the mitsubishi) are damn good cars, although i agree with kaz that $10k is too much for a VT Commodore, especially if its a basic trim level.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 19, 1:12am
Take a 2001 or newer VW Passat for a run. Your choice may suddenly be a very easy one.

The other option that could be really good and is unbelievably good value at the moment is a VW Touran.
There have even been some sell under 10K lately. The VW Touran is about 15 years ahead of the others you are looking at and its very clever and low maintenance DSG gearbox + ultra efficient and reliable engines give you plenty of power with ultra economy. They have an extra seat that folds right into the floor which is great for carrying extra's too.
From a technical/safety and power/economy standpoint the Touran runs rings around the others.

1grasshopper, Jun 19, 1:20am
Jazz with the Passat is the middle seatbelt in the rear a 3 point or a normal lapbelt or a self retracting lapbelt (cant tell from the pics I can find on here).Only ask because if we ever needed to put a carseat in the middle you cant with self retracting lapbelts

thejazzpianoma, Jun 29, 7:02pm
Definitely a 3 pointer in the middle at the back. Safety wise they were well ahead of the Japanese cars of their time.

Can't say I have looked but I would expect an ISOFix as well.

What did you think about the Touran! I know its not quite what you had in mind but from a value for money, safety, technology and economy point of view they are just amazing. You are buying a car that is further ahead than what many manufacturers are trying to sell brand new.

When I say "technology" I am not talking fancy gizmo's but a more advance engine, transmission design that means more power, more economy and better reliability. Its pretty fundamental stuff that can really affect the driving experience and your pocket.

Just to go back to the Passat for a moment. You will probably find the 1.8 Turbo version may suit your needs best. Its going to give you very good economy (especially forgiving around town) but still have plenty of power.

Don't be put off by the Turbo, its a very reliable unit and a great way of having power available but without compromising on economy. Those 1.8T's are a lovely engine and renowned for long trouble free service. The only ones I have seen with problems have been a result of idiots not changing the oil.

If you really just wanted the ultimate in low maintenance the V5 model would be the other leading option. Its chain driven so no cambelt to change etc.

Although really, if its low total cost of ownership you are after the timing chain engines that car dealers love to push are really a bit of a false economy.

The Passat is just such a lovely car to drive and travel in, its in a league of its own compared to the others on your list.