Most economical small car to run?

photog65, Jun 17, 3:10am
Time to sell the 2 litre.

Thinking a small 1500 - 1600 hatch Toymotor or sumthing.

Any suggestions for the best performer!

photog65, Jun 17, 3:11am
Oh I'm thinkin' around the $5.5k mark

cjohnw, Jun 17, 3:21am
Fiat Punto.

Ha ha ha

vtecintegra, Jun 17, 3:24am
An EG Civic ETi (VTEC-e) or a Japanese import EK Civic VTi (3-stage SOHC VTEC) with a manual transmission

Should be significantly more economical than the Toyota equivalents (but be aware the ETi is incredibly slow)

photog65, Jun 17, 3:29am
I'm running a Toyota Curran at the mo. $100 a week in gas.

Hmmm, not sure about going back to a manual.

Honda Civic eh! That's what my girlfriend used to have!

vtecintegra, Jun 17, 3:31am
A 'week' isn't a meaningful measure in this context.Work out what your actual consumption is and it'll be clearer what is going to be a worthwhile upgrade.

paddy1234, Jun 17, 3:38am
1992 corolla, 21.2mpg

photog65, Jun 17, 4:01am
Looking at the VTECs.

Something post-2000.

Thanks.

whqqsh, Jun 17, 4:06am
we had a Fiat Punto. wish we STILL had our Fiat Punto! But the missus wanted her VR6 & I needed a 'coon or dunnydore for towing. but anyways, that thing ran on bugger all. & contrary to popular myth on here gave us no trouble at all

nufix72, Jun 17, 4:11am
echo/vitz/late 90s corolla sedan or nissian sentra/pulsar think low weight
small engine and you are talking about good fuel economy around town.
But if you insist on a honduh get a vtec jazz/fit or civic of course

vtecintegra, Jun 17, 4:14am
lol, the first two results are twin turbo Legacies.Might want to rule them out.

wrong2, Jun 17, 4:20am
you might bargin a Jazz down to 5.5K

but you could get a mint Logo for that money - they are 17+ km/L cars

nufix72, Jun 17, 5:09am
Yea man a red or blue logo would be the go. Go sell some cars kaz.

stevo2, Jun 17, 6:30am
Amazing how many people dont look at it this way isnt it. A 1600cc may only save you $15-$20 per week. $700-$1000 p/a
cheers stevo

r15, Jun 17, 7:36am
this is why my mrs runs a 3000cc altezza gita which 99% of the timer doesnt get to exceed 40kph on the way to and from the shops etc.total waste of its potential, but with its ongoing costs so far only being a WOF & rego with no repairs or servicing yet (not due yet) its actually really cheap to run. and i think the same could be said for a lot of larger cars - you pay a lot less for a lot more car with bigger engined stuff

thejazzpianoma, Jun 17, 8:30am
In an automatic a 2000 or newer Punto is the clear winner out of what has been mentioned so far and having looked at many many fuel figures for small cars I can tell you is about as good as it gets.
The reason is the clever CVT is much much much more efficient than a normal Auto, plus you have lots of other little fuel saving sneaky bits like electric power steering.

Don't worry about it being a 1200cc as it performs on a par with a 1600 - 1800cc Toyota Corolla.

SO how economical is it!
Having had one and tested it first hand on many an occasion I can tell you its really difficult to get it to use more than 6.5l/100km in the city and 5.5l/100km is easy to achieve on the open road, if you hold your tounge right and make an effort you can do as little as 5l/100km on the open road.

Everyday running thats mostly around town in light traffic for someone who lives in the suburbs will be around 5.8l/100km and thats driving quite vigorously.

The great thing about the Punto is its not just economical, its also very safe (4 1/2 star NCAP, its well featured with lots of really nice bits of kit, it handles great, parts are cheap, its reliable and its also about the best value car you can buy in your price range.

Nothing comes close to being as good!

The one you are looking for is a 1.2 twin cam 16 valve version. Pretty much all the auto/cvt 1.2's have that motor.

Just make sure there are service records for the CVT and if it does not have service records then buy one with 60'000km or less on the clock and service the transmission straight away.

Let me know if you want a more detailed buyers guide.

If you take your time, do your research and go about things right there should be little or no "extra costs" changing. Depreciation etc on that model Punto is very low (they basically have not depreciated at all in the last 2 years) so it can make a lot of sense to change.

Do your own math and see for yourself.

Oh and price wise, its easy to get a really good example for your budget of $5500. Good examples come up most weeks.

iman007, Jun 17, 8:35am
I had a p.o.s loaner from smarts panel and paint when my hilux had someone rear me.
It was a daihatsu demio/demos! very small car, but very very cheap to run.
a real nana car but dirt cheap,handled ok too

vtecintegra, Jun 17, 10:15am
I'd disagree with that.Performance is sub par even compared to a Civic ETi.

Would suggest you drive one and draw you own conclusions.

photog65, Jun 17, 8:24pm
Thanks for all the info.

I'm investigating and I'll report back.

Looking at the Civic Vtec and Fiat Punto.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 17, 9:24pm
Not this again!
Get over it!
I have owned 1600cc Corolla's both auto and manual at the same time as the Punto in question. The CVT Punto easily leaves behind a 1600 Auto Corolla and holds its own with a manual one.
I don't give a flying stuff if some Honda's or whatever are slightly quicker/slower or whatever. Its a ballpark only, designed to give people who have not driven one a reference point.
At the end of the day the 1200cc twin cam is significantly quicker than all the usual Japanese automatic stuff of similar displacement. Its easily going to satisfy the needs of Poster 1.
Kindly piss off and stop confusing people over semantics, I am totally over cheap shots every freeeking time on this subject when I am trying to help people. It does NOTHING to help the OP it just confuses everyone.

Oh an for what it is worth I have driven those Civics. Even the 110HP version (30 HP more than the Punto) is barely much quicker in AUTOMATIC than the CVT Punto which is what we are discussing here. More importantly it has less features and is not even remotely close to being as economical as the Punto around town.

intrade, Jun 17, 9:29pm
re* 1 i dont think it is a wise idea to sell your 2 liter unless it is one that uses heaps of fuel like a carburettor 12 valve mazda. fuel consumption of a 2 liter is about 8.5 liter per 100km and a 1.6 is 7.5 liter and a 1.3 is not below 7 liter either. so unless you go to 1000cc charade that uses 6 to 6.5 liter for 100km then it makes no sense to change cars. having said this if you buy brand new ones like fiat some are at under 5 liter petrol now but thats like 20 grand plus cars.

johnf_456, Jun 17, 9:31pm
I agree not everyone is into those dam multiplias and puntos.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 17, 9:32pm
I know what you are saying, but a CVT Punto averages below 6l/100km (at least mine did) for general running living in suburbia and commuting to town. It still has plenty of safety and enough power to get the job done.
You raise a good point though, you DO need to do your own math.

intrade, Jun 25, 12:18am
if you want to save money on gas you got to fit lpg injection on a good car that will last another 8 years . having said this lpg is not exactly cheap here compaired to what australiens pay and europeans also pay less "at the pumps" no rockgas cards. for lpg then we do.