Air Powered Car?

lookoutas, Jun 16, 7:06am
Get a load of this - If you haven't already.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/preview-concept/4217016

johnf_456, Jun 16, 7:08am
Interesting article despite the fact its written in 2007.

lookoutas, Jun 16, 7:15am
So you've seen it before john!

johnf_456, Jun 16, 7:17am
Yeah, but whats your thoughts on it!

pollymay, Jun 16, 7:22am
Compressed air is highly inefficient, most compressors are only about 30% efficient iirc plus line loses and the actual efficiency of that things motor etc so it's not a very good concept. You are still better off with a small euro diesel if you are conscious of you vehicle emissions

lookoutas, Jun 16, 7:24am
The young guy I work with could keep it topped up!

Always interested in concepts.

Had this brainwave of raiding a golf-cart into a little sports type body just for work & back, and an around town runner. Doesn't need to be a ball of fire - a bit like an oversized granny cart, but with some style.
A Lotus Super Seven looking thing even.

gunhand, Jun 16, 7:33am
I seen a doco a few years back and they had an air powered car. Looked nice and sporty and went like a cut cat. Unfortunatly not for long tho and that was the problem.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 20, 7:49am
I remember seeing the videos and articles of those back when that article was written. I have not checked up on it lately but what I heard last was that despite there being a handful of prototypes around (doing taxi service in India) the claims made about range/performance were exaggerated and it didn't work so well in practice.
As posted earlier, its not a very efficient method of storage even when you use ultra high pressure carbon fibre tanks. Anyone who has run air tools will get my drift.