Cleaning the inside of the car

dream_catcher, Jun 12, 10:35pm
Hi just got a new secondhand car and am trying to clean the old owners dirt from it.
The scuff/dirt marks on the plastic inside covers of the door, and beside the gas pedal. How do you remove this ! I have wiped them down with several house hold cleaning liquids but once dry the scuff marks are still there.

any help!

also it has alot of little surface scratches, plus some scratches someone has tried to touch up with wrong color paint. would taking it to a painter for a cut and polish be good for this! thanks

jason18, Jun 12, 10:39pm
Scuff marks on plastic wont move. They are scratched into the plastic. You could try a little cutting compound depending on how bad it is.

jason18, Jun 12, 10:39pm
Take it to panel beater ask opinions then take it from there.

dream_catcher, Jun 12, 11:12pm
Hi Kazbanz, sorry being a housewife I assume wipe down means using elbow grease to clean any dirty/grime away. But thanks for the advise.
Yes will be getting a professional to do the retouch up or paint jobs. Not somethingI would even attempt myself lol

awrenn, Jun 13, 3:23am
Clean, Clean, Clean then few coats of Armour All and it'll stay looking nice ;-)

lily23, Jun 13, 4:48am
I Have also had this problem and there is a cleaning co oil, sold in supermarkets and that took the scuff marks off, had to do it a few times this
a few times tho definetily worth a try good luck, ps it looks like an oil the polish

dream_catcher, Jun 16, 4:30am
Hi the scratches on the exterior of the car are minor in most parts. a few on the boot they tried to fix without getting the right paint and I will be getting them repaired professionally. But I did go to a painter and both said dont bother with cut and polish. Within a month the doors will be marked due to the carelessness of people and their shopping karts, kids or car doors. But I would like to try to polish as good as I can. any suggestions for a good polish thanks

ps been reading about quixx scratch remover. sounds promising .

thejazzpianoma, Jun 16, 6:05am
Be CAREFUL doing this, paint thinners is great if you know where to use it but it will quickly ruin some plastics and some painted surfaces. Use with extreme caution.

intrade, Jun 16, 6:07am
i agree its dangerous and could lead to more problems.
I would try armerol to see if it makes a difference.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 16, 6:09am
Hi dream catcher, I am happy to explain how to get the right gear on the cheap so you can do professional quality cut/polish yourself. However all up you need to be prepared to part with about $200 - $250 so if thats not in the budget then I won't do the big right up.
That will set you up with a proper machine, pads and professional compound. Enough to keep you set for polishing your own cars for years.

Another way around it if the scratching is not too bad (as may be the case given what the painters said) is to use a clay bar and a glaze which can be done by hand. You will still need a budget of close to $100 for that though.

BTW, it sounds like you take pride in your vehicles. In my opinion it is well worth the effort setting yourself up with some good gear so you can look after your paint properly. There is NO substitute for decent gear and proper product, what you buy off the shelf at Repco is overpriced rubbish.

Also, with that kind of gear if you want to do the odd paid job on someone else's car for some pocket money (legitimately of course!) you can do a professional quality job.

mothergoose_nz, Jun 19, 9:57am
blind guy cleans the cars here.used paint thinner tidying something up and wiped the number plate to tidy that up as well.no more numbers on the plate.OOOOPPPPS