Car restoration recommendation, Ch-ch area?

farcar1, Jun 10, 11:31pm
Anyone got any recommendations for a panel/paint, restoration or customiser in the Christchurch area. Keen to find out who's good and who's not.

craigie, Jun 11, 1:51am
panelcraft in ashburton hes won a few awards for his work.

grangies, Jun 11, 2:56am
It all depends on what you need to be done to your vehicle.

Does it need sheet-metal parts fabricated etc etc, or just a decent smooth up in the body shop and then a nice coat of paint!

Google advertises some nice looking restoration shops in Canterbury region that are capable of ground up rebuilds. Bear in mind that the $$ involved can be huge.Like$30,000 , $50,000, $150,000.etc.

There's bound to be some good Joe Bloggs (bit of everything) Panel/Paint shops in Chch, that will hapily take on a simple re-bulid, and work on it in between smash repairs and touch-ups. Ask a local hot-rod or classic car club for references/suggestions.

Avoid taking it to large collision repairers, that specialize in smashes and dents only. It may end up sitting in the corner for months on end, because all the tradesmen there will try and avoid it like the plague. Most Panelbeaters and Painters who fix damaged vehicles all day HATE BLOODY RUST. LOL.

farcar1, Jun 12, 12:27am
Craigie, cheers I give him a try.

Grangies, yep agree, any contacts for hot-rod or classic car clubs in Ch-ch, as I'm new to the area.

zephyrheaven, Jun 12, 3:54am
Guy in the workshop next to me speaks the right language (sectioning / frenching / scallops & scoops) if you want a good contact for panelwork - his shop is full of caddys / corvettes / mustangs & a very rare 30's Ford V8 Delivery at the moment - very busy but depends what you want!

farcar1, Jun 13, 8:03am
Bumped

grangies, Jun 13, 8:26am
How much $$ you got!

http://www.autorestorations.co.nz/

farcar1, Jun 13, 9:45am
Not as exotic as some of the photos in auto restores website. I've got a pretty clean XA Falcon coupe I've owned for 20yrs and finally have it off the road and want it shaved, paneled and painted etc. If I could find someone to put it all together as well that would be great. $$, not really sure what dollars involved, but there's only one way to do things and that's the right way.

flockton55, Jun 13, 11:23am
Can personally recommend Leon Phillips at Canterbury Classics on Lichfield St.He has very high standards, and has just installed a new spray booth. He takes photos of work in progress.When I checked on my car, I told him it was good he hadn't had to remove any metal for the rust repair. Then he showed me the photos!Virtually no sign that huge bits had been cut out, new pieces made, and welded in.

mrpump, Jun 13, 11:55am
Addy at Wipeout Painters does all our hot rod work

farcar1, Jun 14, 10:55am
Thanks for the recommendations.