Car not starting, tries but just wont turn over

Page 1 / 2
funnyfela, Jun 5, 9:07am
Hi guys, appologies in advance, im not totally car-literate.

I have a Honda Civic 1992, and its been fine, then this morning I turned the key, it tried to start but just wouldn't fire up. Its an auto, so couldn't try push starting, so panic'ed and found a ride to work. Its got 1/4 tank of fuel, so definately isn't out, and my step dad reckons it is something electrical. It does have an alarm with immobiliser, but that was turned off (turns off when keyless entry used, turns back on after 30 secs).Any ideas! is there anything we can try or do I need it looked it. Thanks guys

laidbare, Jun 5, 9:18am
id check for spark first if no spark id say its a distributor faultcoil or ignitor

pup2, Jun 5, 9:20am
Check for spark.

laidbare, Jun 5, 9:20am
does it turn over if it doesnt id look at battery or battery terminal if they ok then starter motor fault but if it does both of these then id go with my first post

funnyfela, Jun 5, 9:29am
Like i turn the key, (oh gosh here we go)
and it tries to start and makes the room-room-room noise but it just wont fire up (i let go of the key and it isn't started

I hope that makes sense lol

How would we check for a spark!

funnyfela, Jun 5, 9:30am
Scrap that, andy_563 just answered that lol we'll have a look

franc123, Jun 5, 10:20am
any possibility that the timing belt might have stripped or broken!

msigg, Jun 5, 10:32am
call the AA or your local mechanic or auto electrical guy, a faulty spark plug will not stop your car going, if it has been going fine until now then probably something else, could be wet connections somwhere. If you know nothing about cars then get someone else to look at it.

tmenz, Jun 5, 10:44am
If it's fuel injected - Hondas from that era have a history of faulty fuel injection main relays - stops the fuel pump from pumping fuel to the rail.

antwerp87, Jun 5, 12:33pm
Generally it will only do that when hear is warm due to the solder cracking. It won't just stop all together and should start when cold

snoopy221, Jun 5, 12:40pm
BASIACLY.the age sorta gets to the ignition distributor.
AND as ya posted they sorta oommm ooommm oommm and not omm omm VROOMMM-I.E IGNOTION FAULT-NOT FIRING ALL CYLNDERS.
auto sparky-or well trusted mechanic.

skin1235, Jun 5, 12:40pm
the next question will be " what does a plug look like!"
then
" where do I find it!"
then
"under the bonnet!, how do I get under that!"
then
"okay I got that open, now where is this plug I have to unplug and have a look at!
etc
etc
etc
lol

best advice yet is

snoopy221, Jun 5, 12:50pm
IGNOTION +. WELL READ.
And commented on skin.LMFAO

im_andrew, Jun 5, 8:28pm
Wait a minute. hows it going to spark if its not grounded!

biddy6, Jun 5, 8:47pm
I must have wrecked dozens of sparkplugs over the years by grounding them to check for spark. Silly me, didnt even realise I had been doing it wrong.!

bigfatmat1, Jun 5, 8:53pm
through the glove ya have to put on lol

motorway, Jun 5, 8:55pm
stand barefoot in a bowl of water.

jmma, Jun 5, 10:17pm
All mine must be stuffed now also, dont do it with the glove on and you soon find out if its got spark (o:

crzyhrse, Jun 5, 10:54pm
I can't believe how many people don't know what 'turn over' means in relation to an engine. It doesn't mean start and run - it means turning the crank with the starter.

richard198, Jun 6, 1:44am
+1 Who needs help with advice like that!

tmenz, Jun 6, 2:37am
Quite true. It's usually when the interior of the car is warm because the relay's under the dash - it doesn't relate to the engine being warm!
However, the nature of faulty solder joints is that they are unpredictable and can fail completely at any time

antwerp87, Jun 6, 3:18am
Its amazing how many people bought a brand new one when all it took was re soldering and away ya go. Literally a 5 min job instead of costing an easy hundred bucks. In the end I justused to repair em and charge 50 even and were done

bae13, Jun 6, 10:16am
main relay fault, undo the panel under the steering wheel (not the coloum surrounds, once out check to the righ hand side of the steering wheel between that and the A pilar, in there there should be a grey box (odd time its brown) it should have main assembly writen on it. pull it out and pull it apart, get out a soldering iron and solder up all the joints again, refit in reverse

antwerp87, Jun 6, 10:38am
100 Bucks says its not the Relay. That fault is not common in the civic's. Its mainly in the earlier accords. Besides even if it was that. If it fails it will start when its cool in the morning. It will fail intermitently.
So next thought.

angela137, Jun 7, 3:13am
My partners car is not a Honda but when we had a similar problem (it was always early in the morning so we gathered it must be a moisture problem) he would just blast my blow dryer on high at the engine- not sure which part he foucesed the hot air onto for abuot 5 minutes and it would always start up just fine after that - was a hasssel getting out the extension cord and using the blow dryer but it got hime to work so hey.!