I have a car that hasn't been started in a year

skittles93, Jun 3, 11:32pm
I was told to do an oil change, remove the spark plugs (and replace them while Im at it), spray CRC down the bores and turn it over (with the spark plugs out still) to build up the oil pressure and get the ol fuel pump working. Then chuck the plugs back in and try my luck! Does this sound right to you guys! Anything you would like to add!

crzyhrse, Jun 3, 11:37pm
That's all good advice but go light on the CRC and turn it over by hand initially to ensure there aren't any valves stuck open.

intrade, Jun 3, 11:43pm
you dont do a oil change before you start it oil needs to be hot to be able to drain properlyturning over by hand and then crank it . Important is how you turn a engine off when you store it for a year and that is at fully hot operation temperature. if its not hot enough moisture will form and piston rust stuck and all sorts within a few month.

hamishcookie, Jun 3, 11:46pm
My FXGT had been sitting for a couple of years in a shed all we did was check the oil level pulled the plugs out and put a little 2 stroke down each plug pulled the rocker covers off and put some oil on the cam lobes, unplugged the ignition and turned it over until oil was coming up to the head put the plugs back in plugged in the ignition and she started even on 2-3 year old stale gas. Drove it back from oto to Hamilton dumped the oil and gave it some fresh oil and a filter and its never missed a beat.

crzyhrse, Jun 3, 11:55pm
After a year of sitting the oil will have drained as well as it ever will into the sump. A greater concern is the water that it may well have in the sump from condensation.

woody1946, Jun 4, 3:23am
God all this makes me feel real bad, I have a car thats been sitting for over a year, and last week I thought I should see if it would start ,so I just turned the keyand started it---and it did

donz01, Jun 4, 3:46am
I started a 3500cc v8 rover after it had been sitting under a tarp outside for 10 years. Just used jumper leads and the fuel that was still in the tank. Had to wind it over a few times to get fuel to the carbies and then it run well enough that itwould idle with out stalling. The motor got fitted to another car and has never skipped a beat for the past 3 years.

chris241, Jun 4, 3:51am
a m8 of mine got a car going that hadnt gone for 30 years and it stared pretty easy. new plugs pionts and hooked up a motorbike fuel tank to the carby as the tank was full of rust. And away she went ran mint

thejazzpianoma, Jun 4, 3:51am
The key thing now is to take the lesson and start (or at least turn it over) regually.

skittles93, Jun 4, 5:23am
Aah if only I could jazz, the car is in new plymouth and Im stuck in Auckland to study :( Ok cool, thanks guys! I will try and see how it goes!

johnf_456, Jun 4, 5:45am
You don't know anyone that could start it regular you, I know some people down that way that can be trusted to start it on a regular basis.

skittles93, Jun 4, 5:52am
Yeah once I get it up and running this time, I will my good old ma to get her going regularly. Im going back for a month for the holidays, so plenty of time to teach her haha

taipan4, Jun 4, 6:39am
depending on how long the car has been sitting it is a good idea to remove rocker cover(s) and crank over with a socket on end of crank, to make sure valves are all closing properly, Have heard of also removing spark plugs & feeding sash cord in the whole to push valves closed with CRC on valves stems.this was on a TEAFERGUSON TRACTOR

skittles93, Jun 4, 6:52am
hahaha I'm a student that hates conformity! Hate texting, hate mainstream music and the generic ricers haha. How about I send my carrier pidgeon down with a message to the vicar to turn her over once a week!

skittles93, Jun 4, 6:53am
Thats a new one haha, but the consensus seem to say turning over by hand is the best way to do it, so I will definately do that :)

xacoon, May 6, 3:04pm
hmmm. check oil, bit of fuel down the carb, fire it, leave it running on 5 or 6 for a while, worked its way up to 7, eventually found 8.