Old lady buying car needs advise please.

Page 1 / 2
dream_catcher, Jun 2, 9:16am
Hi looking at buying a 1996 MITSUBISHI MIRAGE.and just wonder if these are ok cars. several people I have spoken to have said they hate Mitsubishi's
any help would be appreciated.

thanks

franc123, Jun 2, 9:22am
Thats being a bit general, the MIrage/Lancer line was consistently one of the better models of car that Mitsi has produced, mainly because they kept things pretty simple on them.Theres no particular reason why you shouldn't buy one, as with any car a good inspection should be done before buying, paying special attention to the auto trans and how its been treated if you are looking at auto versions.There is one model of engine, the 1.8 4G93 I think it was that does have an annoying habit of leaking oil badly from the front corner of the engine due to a bit of poor design that causes the head gasket to leak early, not too difficult or expensive to fix.But overall a sound, if unexciting car.

stevo2, Jun 2, 6:11pm
Correct.
Phillip.Weston will be along soon to give the full low down but I think that model has the rusty roof issues as well. Incorrect adhesive used caused the roof to rust from the inside and very expensive to fix. It was addressed in the mid/late 80's
cheers Stevo

johnf_456, Jun 2, 10:04pm
The roof rusting issues was early 90's to my knowledge a 1996 would be unaffected I'd imagine. Based on the clue 3m supplied them with.

deanfreeman, Jun 2, 10:08pm
i had a 96 mitsi mirrage hatch at 180kms needed new rubbers and head gasket was twin cam 1600 auto other than that had no probs with itg went prety good good when you put your foot down it went

deanfreeman, Jun 2, 10:14pm
yes i payed 2k for mine and sold it for 800 due to steering racks wer on thier way out and yes it was very thirsty but i did thrash italot even when i nanerd it stilo drank a bit of fuel for a small car was good roud corners and in the hills though

johnf_456, Jun 2, 10:14pm
Not again thejazzpianoma, is it your lifes mission to sell fiat!

thejazzpianoma, Jun 2, 10:18pm
Its my lifes mission to help people find a great deal on a car. There have just been a lot of people who would suit a Punto lately.

johnf_456, Jun 2, 10:19pm
I think that applys to anyone not who just suits. Almost like religion.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 2, 10:24pm
The thing is when there is a best car for that particular purpose then its the best car. You don't just swap around recommendations to keep regular readers amused. Besides I recommend quite a few different cars, it just depends on what the posters use is.
As always you are more than welcome to post a recommendation for the same money that has 4 1/2 star safety, abs, 4 airbags, thats as economical with similar age thats reliable with affordable and available parts.
I have said that for several years now and so far no one has posted anything that can compete.

johnf_456, Jun 2, 10:31pm
Man you are full of it, I could but I don't care about star ratings and airbags and all that crap. It always seams to be a fiat of some sort.

vtecintegra, Jun 2, 11:26pm
I don't think they ever fixed it entirely with that model, there are a couple parked just down the street newer than 96 (I think) that are suffering from it badly.

Worth checking out at any rate

johnf_456, Jun 2, 11:30pm
Fair enough like any car can have issues that are non common and been a 15 year old car they will be showing their age now if they are out on the open and not garaged all the time. But worthwhile checking it out just like you would on any car.

shuddupowh, Jun 3, 12:24am
Get an E30 BMW. Mine was abused before I got it, have modded it etc and no rust that I can find. And is 20years old. Never mind the old jappas :-P

321mat, Jun 3, 12:32am
I would respectfully suggest not.
Mainly because of the excessive maintenance costs.
While they don't tend to rust, but if anything does go wrong, and let's face it, BMW's are not the greatest in the mechanical reliability stakes, then the little old lady would be up for some serious coin to repair it.

dream_catcher, Jun 3, 1:20am
Thanks to all
I am getting them AA inspected. Only when they really look like something I would like.
But some sellers really can throw the cow dung at you when you ask them questions about the car. Seeing a woman must mean fair game for taking advantage of someone who may not know alot about cars.
But it really helps getting information from here. I do appreciate your honest opinions.

5 star for trademe forums

johnf_456, Jun 3, 1:21am
Correct

sr2, Jun 3, 1:57am
It??

attitudedesignz, Jun 3, 2:11am
I totally agree. Although every time i see a post by jazz i may roll my eyes i do have alot of respect for him.
He is passionate about Fiats and some euro's in general and posts well thought out suggestions and opinions.
Some of those opinions and suggestions may sometimes be a little off-centre they have given even me pause to consider alternatives when the usual "what car to buy" questions pop up on this board.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 3, 2:31am
Cheers attitudedesignz and sr2. I really do appreciate that it must be annoying as hang to hear the same old speal every time someone pops up with the same sort of need. Especially as my posts are usually. err. comprehensive!
If only I could add dancing girls or something to make it more entertaining.

I appreciate the support, incidentally I am noticing that there is a bit of a shift going on. Passats are not quite the amazing bargain they once were and there are some other vehicles starting to get close to the Punto for value. The Punto is still the clear winner in my opinion for a small economical car at that price point. but perhaps soon it may have some friends.

I will make an effort to not wind up one or two others as I have in a thread a couple of days ago. it was a slow day and they were ripe for it but I should have behaved.

321mat, Jun 3, 2:32am
Yeah. but Italian electrics!!

thejazzpianoma, Jun 3, 2:38am
The electrics in the basic Fiats are as good as any. Most of it is bosch etc that everyone else uses anyway. Italian electrics in general have got a lot better in models since around 2000.

You still have to be a little bit careful with some of the Alfa's that started production in the 90's and there is the odd quirk with the really advanced computer stuff like you will find in a Stilo Abarth. (although to its credit I think the Abarth electrics are good considering the sophistication of the vehicle, its age and the price tag). BTW in general I find the Stilo less reliable than the Punto hence my not really suggesting them despite their afford-ability.

Mostly Punto's will only do the occasional seat occupancy sensor or seatbelt contact after a a lot of hard work, and those are no big deal to have replaced and need not be done urgently.

321mat, Jun 3, 2:42am
I was only teasing.
Although, sometimes the Italian way of doing things can be a bit confusing for those of us who were brainwashed by Imperial measurements (not to mention Whitworth!)

thejazzpianoma, Jun 3, 2:47am
LOL, thats all good I thought you might but it was actually an interesting point. I am fortunate to be a mostly metric generation, its the Whitworth and Impreial (which I refer to as Infernal) that scare me! Fractions were never my strong point!

Incidentally I think a lot of debates on here just come down to what people are used to. Its human nature to get comfortable with what you know and not be in a hurry to step outside what you are comfortable with.

wrong2, Jun 3, 2:53am
meet my friend , the dark lord LUCAS

http://www.mez.co.uk/lucas.html