Skyline oil

aliru, May 26, 6:01am
the wifes r33 woulnt start the other day.hows the water and oil I ask . huh was the reaction. so i lifted the bonnet and checked the oil and water(which im going to do more often) and ,no supprise it was sweet as. when istarted it ( took a while to start),it had a ticking noise (possible liffter).took a while and it went away.so im taking it to work to service it . got some castrol magnitec to put in it and was wondering if anybody has used it and has some feed back.thanks all and check the wifes car

mugenb20b, May 26, 7:20am
Magnatec oil is OK for Skylines. How many years has it been since you last serviced it!

ginga4lyfe, May 26, 7:24am
Its more than likley the spark plugs causing it to fail to start more than old oil, but its a good idea to do a general service anyways.

aliru, May 26, 7:48am
i try and change the oil every 8000 kms . it may also be time for some new plugs aswell. i started it today and no noise and it started easy.( it was monday when i had the problems and it has`nt been used since) thanks for the help

jasongroves, May 26, 8:16am
Oil wont be what is affecting starting.
Sounds like an electrical fault.
Most common one I can think of would be coil packs, but worth checking plugs and leads also and replacing if needed.

gtrnut, May 29, 10:12pm
coil packs won't stop it from starting they will only break down under load generally & they don't have leads if it's an RB engine as the coils sit directly on top of the plugs. plugs could be worn but don't suspect that the starting fault-make sure your running on 96 or 98 oct fuel-better for them & you get better fuel economy

aliru, May 30, 2:02am
thanks for the advice. i susspected a sticky rocker or lifter gave me the noise and possibly only stating on 5 wouldnt have helped. have changed the oil and coolant and seems to be running well. I think plugs will be on next weeks shopping list.

rscozzie, May 30, 7:32am
10w-30 for rb engines

antz91, May 30, 7:35am
Magnatec is good to use. Have used it for every oil change i've done on my 33.

jasongroves, May 30, 11:41am
Ahh.good to know:)

jasongroves, May 30, 11:46am
For ALL RB engines! Seems a bit general for me.
Surely specifics of the engine would have to come into play. ie; model of engine, type of use and Kms for a start.
We don't know if its a 26DETT, 25DE, 25DET etc etc.

aliru, May 31, 6:43am
does anybody know what a navan is.our skyline is a 93 r33 2.5 gts navan. i replaced the front brake pads a while ago ,got a set from bnt and were miles to small. when i took them back to get them changed they said they are off a gtr cause they are bigger. all the matts and spoiler have navan on them , or do all skylines have this! starting to think ive got the odd 1 out

rscozzie, May 1, 2:08am
nissan recomend 7.5w-30 for 26dett so would be good in any rb