Which car would be a better long term family car.

pandai, May 28, 1:38am
The Accord/Inspire is a fantastic car.

You will prefer it to the Camry, the cars are in a different class.

However, it's more expensive, to purchase and run, and you might be better off looking for a model without the Japanese onboard computer etc.

phillip.weston, May 28, 1:38am
I would pick the Insire/Accord over that shape Camry anyday. I don't care how reliable that Camry is, it looks like a total horrible bag of sh*t. I think Toyota can congratulate themselves with that shape Camry, it is their most boring and conservative design yet. It is the automotive equivalent of a washing machine.

siobhan41, May 28, 1:42am
haha must admit it does look a more then a tad boring.
I do want a 2002 + Caldina but they a few k out of budget as we want to stay under 10k.

pandai, May 28, 1:44am
I don't know if you'll get the Honda for under 10

siobhan41, May 28, 1:49am
Yeah hard to know but can't see why you would start bidding at 7k if you want 13k.

pandai, May 28, 1:50am
Some traders don't understand how to sell things

flybye_in_a_rx7, May 28, 2:20am
i'd go for the accord. im pretty sure you can get ones with a 4 star petrol rating though if you have a look around, it might be the 2.4L ones.

antwerp87, May 28, 2:22am
They brought the V6 shape out in Australia with the 2.4l iV-tec engine. they just called it a Honda Accord rather than a V6 accord.Take a look around. You may be able to find an Australian import

smac, May 28, 2:58am
Go on, tell us what you REALLY think

siobhan41, May 28, 3:21am
haha must admit most of the Toyota's seem to be a little boring but are super expensive.

phillip.weston, May 28, 3:52am
yes, super expensive and what do you get for your money! Something that is as interesting as a wet tissue. All because of their so called perceived 'reliability' - which if the blinded by reliability punters would look further outside the square they will find something just as reliable, twice as exciting and perhaps even less expensive. If looking at a 2001-2005 shape Camry I would look at the Mazda6, Ford Mondeo, Honda Accord V6 and Accord Euro, Audi A4 and A6, Volkswagen Passat, Subaru Legacy, Volvo S60 to name a few.

richardmayes, May 28, 4:47am
No, don't do that! The2.4 litre K engine is alright in the Euro Accord body, but you definitely want V6 grunt in cars of this size.

(And that's another reason NOT to buy that Toyota, BTW!)

V6 Accord is a nice car and won't be any less "reliable" than the Toyota as long as condition is comparable.** Just be sure to keep the auto gearbox regularly serviced, as I have heard more than a few people say (here and elsewhere) that the transmission is only just strong enough for the torque of the V6 and they die if you abuse or neglect them.

Also I've heard of a few people having really frustrating problems with the stereo / air conditioning console playing up. God help you if it's an import and the ERROR messages are all in Japanese!

** (Obviously, if the cheapest Honda is the same price as the dearest Toyota, you are nevertheless still buying the cheapest Honda on the market, so it will presumably be poorer condition, higher KMs, or maybe have something wrong with it. Get it checked out carefully!)

richardmayes, Apr 11, 12:19am
In saying that, I wouldn't class the Accord V6 as an "exciting" car as some people above are doing. What it is, is a lovely, smooth luxury barge for blasting along the motorway in silence at high speed.

If you try to do any "exciting" driving in one, you soon realize that they have a big heavy back end on them, and the engine wants to take you a lot faster than the suspension and tyres can go!

Get a Euro Accord if you want to enjoy a bit of "exciting" driving now and then.